Levels seem fine but pool water is green.

Jul 1, 2015
AZ
Hey gang. A couple of days ago it rained and afterwards my pool looked a little cloudy and the water had a green tint. My TA levels were around 140 but everything else seemed pretty fine but I would lose a several ppm's of FC each day to where I was adding a half a gallon of bleach each day. I live in Arizona where it's steadily been 106 degrees and I was thinking that was affecting my FC levels, and then I read in a different thread that if you lose more than ppm of chlorine a day something might be wrong. So I started a SLAM and have been doing it for practically 3 days now and the pool is still cloudy and now a little green. Shallow areas look great and clear but the deep end I can barely see the bottom. I'm also adding about a third a gallon of bleach every hour just to keep my FC at shock levels. I can't figure out what's going on. My levels right now are:

16000 gallon pool
FC 24
CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 120
CYA 60

I read somewhere else that there might be copper or metal in the water and that's why it's greenish? Would that make the water somewhat cloudy as well? It's not so cloudy that I can't see the drain at the bottom but it's faint. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've spent a lot of money on a lot of bleach and can't afford it.

I live in Tucson. My CYA is 60 and I keep my FC between 6 and 11, never have algae. My TA is 70 due to high CH. PH 7.3-7.5.

So your numbers do look good, but the FC loss indicates at some point FC may have dropped and algae took over. Have you done an OCLT to confirm that something isn't eating your FC? Brushed the pool and all nooks and crannies, behind pool lights and ladders?

I have a tf-100 test kit. I've been brushing and ruining my barracuda this entire time and don't have ladders or lights to worry about as far as cleaning goes. I just recently unplugged the skimmer to see if a regular circulation of the water would help anything. So the water isn't perfectly clear so it must be algae? Does it normally take this long to SLAM? I feel like I'm pouring a ton of bleach into the pool and not seeing much of a difference.

If you have algae, yes a SLAM can take a while. You will use a lot more bleach in the beginning. My SLAM took 10 days.

Keep asking questions. Brush, brush, brush your pool and as often as you can, add bleach and keep it up to SLAM level.

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it normally take this long to SLAM? I feel like I'm pouring a ton of bleach into the pool and not seeing much of a difference.
Yes, it does.....and you are pouring in a ton of bleach and you are getting results (the chlorine is killing that algae).....you just can't see those results - yet.

You are doing a great job of keeping the FC up so don't let that slip. At some point in the future the chlorine demand will loosen and your water will turn to greyish-green then hazy blue and finally crystal clear. Some pools take longer than others but you are doing just fine....don't give up on the chlorine......it works!

If you have algae, yes a SLAM can take a while. You will use a lot more bleach in the beginning. My SLAM took 10 days.

Keep asking questions. Brush, brush, brush your pool and as often as you can, add bleach and keep it up to SLAM level.

[emoji176] Lisa P.
10 days! Is this bleach/slam method really the best way?

Yes!!! It is. I had an algae outbreak last summer for the first time in our pool. The pool was 3 years old. We tried algaecides, shock, etc. Two diffident pool stores, two different suggestions. I had lurked on this forum and learned a little, but one pool store sold us a product called Silvertrine. It's about $40 a bottle. It worked, but I would have to add it every week. I spent well over $400 in two months from pool store advice. I had ordered the test kit, but since the Silvertrine worked, I just didn't worry about it. Who knows what we were swimming in!

Water was clear over the winter so I still didn't worry. Spring came -ALGAE! and this time worse. I resorted to Silvertrine, but it just came back too quickly. I decided enough was enough and I wanted to control my pool. I learned SOOOO much about my pool. I am a true member of the pool school geek club. And I am the QUEEN of my pool!! I know more about how the equipment works, the chemistry, the safety, etc. It was worth it and I spent way less $$$ than last summer. I'm still learning and adjusting and figuring out my pool's personality. Here is a visual of my pool's progress. It is very worth it. .
e66b996d8e649924b3f72876646bb5db.jpg

[emoji176] Lisa P.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
TFP and SLAM are the best for clearing and STAYING clear in the long run! This will work. It is NOT fun right now :( BUT it will work!

Do something for me........take a pic of your pool looking down at the steps or something in the pool. I want you to post that pic and take one every day and post it. THAT will help you see the progress day by day. It is hard to see with the naked eye. The pics will help.

HUGS! It does work!

Kim

image.jpgI've got this one photo. You can see the steps in the distance. At work and I'll take better ones when I get home. Thanks for being encouraging. This seems so daunting but I'll just have faith in the process and see where it takes me.

edit: sorry about sideways photo. Posted from my phone.

Nice pool! That isn't so bad, a SLAM should clear that up pretty quickly. Keep your FC just under shock level and swim-n-slam. That is what we did a few weeks ago. It is safe to swim when FC is above minimum and below shock level for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart.

Aright, I don't know what happened overnight but all the green is gone in my pool. It's amazing. Looking clearer but not crystal clear so I'll keep at it. This SLAM stuff TFP way is remarkable. Here's a picture of my steps and the pool now.
IMG_7590.jpg

Keep SLAMing and brush the pool daily, especially the deep end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.