Which heater should I buy?

We live in Michigan and our pool is very cold even on the hot days like today. I'd like to replace our old heater with a new one but need some recommendations on what to buy. The heater that's installed now is gas but does not work at all. I'm pretty handy so I'll probably install it myself. I was thinking of getting a 200BTU heater but I'm not sure where I should buy it from.

Help?

Go for a Raypak. I would also consider getting a little larger of a unit. Raypak has a 266K BTU and then the next level up is the 400K BTU. Difference in cost is usually about $400.

I don't recommend buying online but many here in this forum have. Get the one that is electronic ignition. Do NOT get a milivolt unit.

These are very good units.

Paul,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm just curious, why you prefer Raypack?

Thom

Go for a Raypak. I would also consider getting a little larger of a unit. Raypak has a 266K BTU and then the next level up is the 400K BTU. Difference in cost is usually about $400.

I don't recommend buying online but many here in this forum have. Get the one that is electronic ignition. Do NOT get a milivolt unit.

I've been a Raypak heater repairman for over 25 years. It's the best heater on the market, in my opinion. The obvious advantage to buying local is a warrenty and convenience issue. Most pool companies that would sell you a heater would offer the warrenty repair as well.

Ok thanks guys.

400K BTU seems like a lot for a 11,000 gallon pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't Millivolt a RayPak heater brand?

You just need to consider the amount of time to heat the pool. If you can wait a bit longer then you go with the smaller unit. If you want a faster heat up time, the bigger one.

Raypak states they will not warranty a unit purchased online. However I am sure you could get them to cover anything that went wrong. However, I hardly see anything go wrong with these units within the normal warranty period covered by the manufacturer.

How much does the size of the gas line matter? We're also looking at a RayPak to replace our existing 250K BTU Laars. We're looking at the 266K RayPak, but I'm not sure if the 400K would work with our existing gas line. I've also seen some talk of a ~333K BTU RayPak. Is that one not sold anymore?

Agree; put a cupro-nickel Raypak 266BTU (P-M266A-EN-X) on our 16x32, 20K gallon pool 2 years ago. No issues, 1" gas line (hard line) from house, Pro-Flex CSST to connect line from pad to hard line sediment trap coming outta gas valve.

Replaced a 1998 Purex-Triton MiniMaxx 200K Btu...

Little bit of retrofit due to gas line/inlet/outlet differences in the heaters but no big deal, can hook up either 120 or 240VAC but otherwise no big deal to install.

Raypak does still make a 333K btu heater...P-R336A-EN-

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.