1st time SLAM - New algae!!

Apr 26, 2015
Jax, FL
I'm trying to slam our pool to take out some algae that just started. Having trouble using the pool math calculator to figure out how much bleach/liquid chlorine to add...
We're using liquid chlorine 2.5 gallon jug that's 10.5% active chlorine. What number to put in next to weight/trade box that you can't type in?? Is that where the percentage of bleach goes? Also, there isn't an option in the drop down jug size for the 2.5 gallon jug we have? Is this a problem?

Test results are as follows for our SWG pool:

CYA - 53
FC - 1
PH - about 7.6 - we dosed the pool to bring this level close to 7.2. Will probably be slightly above since we ran out of acid (but it will definitely be below 7.5)

Just trying to figure out how much chlorine to add - thanks!

Shannon

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, algae is visible - looks light yellow-brown colored. We haven't been keeping a good eye on the SWG and how it's doing apparently, and trying to run it shorter amounts per day. It's coating the sides and part of the bottom of the pool. Nothing floating that I can see - so probably not too serious...yet! I'd like to start soon though on the slam.

Hello! Yes, in the weight/percentage (white) box, you can type any percentage you need (i.e. 10.5%). On the drop-down for container size however, you may need to get creative. :)

For example: We know 128 fluid oz = 1 gallon. So you should be able to just adjust accordingly ...I hope. :)

With a CYA of 50, you'll want a "TARGET" FC of 20. Hope that helps.

- - - Updated - - -

When you start your SLAM, turn off the SWG to safe cell life. Rely solely on liquid bleach.

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure you read and follow everything you see here: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

You will notice that when you change the % to 10.5, then the "weight" changes to "Trade" percentage, and the amount of chlorine to add will be correct.

This feature actually was a very recent revision to Pool Math.
it was discussed here. 15% Sodium Hypochlorite

I'm trying to slam our pool to take out some algae that just started. Having trouble using the pool math calculator to figure out how much bleach/liquid chlorine to add...
We're using liquid chlorine 2.5 gallon jug that's 10.5% active chlorine. What number to put in next to weight/trade box that you can't type in?? Is that where the percentage of bleach goes? Also, there isn't an option in the drop down jug size for the 2.5 gallon jug we have? Is this a problem?

Test results are as follows for our SWG pool:

CYA - 53
FC - 1
PH - about 7.6 - we dosed the pool to bring this level close to 7.2. Will probably be slightly above since we ran out of acid (but it will definitely be below 7.5)

Just trying to figure out how much chlorine to add - thanks!

Shannon

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, algae is visible - looks light yellow-brown colored. We haven't been keeping a good eye on the SWG and how it's doing apparently, and trying to run it shorter amounts per day. It's coating the sides and part of the bottom of the pool. Nothing floating that I can see - so probably not too serious...yet! I'd like to start soon though on the slam.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.