Heating via the sun

Jul 18, 2015
OHIO
I have found that the water will heat quicker by removing the solar cover during sunlight hours and trapping the heat in by replacing it in the evening. The question I have is will it heat "quicker" with the pump on high or low, or not even on?

Generally speaking, you get faster heating removing a cover during the day IF you don't have dry air with a lot of evaporation. Otherwise, the heat gain from the sun is cancelled out by the heat loss from evaporation. Using a mostly clear solar cover (or a light blue cover that effectively lets most light and especially infrared through) is even better since it eliminates evaporation but lets most light through to heat the pool. What color and opacity is your cover?

Circulation is better because it distributes the hot water throughout the pool. Otherwise the surface will get warmer and will thermally conduct heat faster back to the air.

Solar covers also reduce evaporative cooling, which depends on wind speed at the water surface. On a windless day, and in direct sunlight, the water heating rate will be similar with/without the cover, but increase the wind speed, and you are better off keeping the cover on to reduce heat loss through evaporation.

I have found that the water will heat quicker by removing the solar cover during sunlight hours and trapping the heat in by replacing it in the evening. The question I have is will it heat "quicker" with the pump on high or low, or not even on?
Just curious as to what kind of cover you have (e.g. semi transparent blue bubble)?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.