Pump maintenance

Hey everyone,

So my pump motor decided to give up mild season. Not sure yet if it's the capacitor or rust. I just shut it off to setup the vacuum and it hums when I turned it back on.

Here's the pump:
19bf72108663b917c91ba6c107197424.jpg

Anyways, I'm working on plugging my drains using these new plugs:
8c81613f2309524ec656e11ef5e9333a.jpg

Low and behold it fits great for the basket but not for the return jet. Here's the return setup:
20d5f981e195d42fc24e27d37d7f4d8b.jpg

77aca98776b4ad2b0be6634d346de7fc.jpg

I believe there's an insert fitting in there but not sure and I can't get it lose if there is one.

I did find something and have NO idea what it is...lol.
1ae8202749f42d934f3fa5a475a8123d.jpg

Any ideas?

Don't have an answer for you unfortunately but the same thing happened to me last summer with our pump, replacing the capacitor did not fix the problem. Loved having to buy a new pump 3 days before going on vacation

If your fitting still doesn't come apart you can always stick a cork, or carrot, or ?? and disconnect the hose from the filter and secure it over the wall of the pool into the water. Not for a long time, and kind of funky but if you haven't got another choice it will work. This would be a last ditch solution to get your pump fixed

I know how you feel about the wasp sting. I got one on the nose a few weeks back and boy did it hurt! I may have uttered spurious comments about the parentage of the wasp!

As for the pump, the capacitor is the usual culprit, but I don't believe this model has one. It may have a centrifugal switch instead. Pull off the back cover and see if there is a capacitor behind it. If not, this thread may help you troubleshoot the problem. motor repair advise needed Hayward powerflo sp1580Z2 1.5hp

To find out if it's the capacitor you might need some help to turn the motor on and when it's humming try to spin the shaft (that's the if you can do it safely part). If it starts up then it is the start capacitor that's bad.

That chunk of threaded plastic in the wall is part of the "eyeball". The more you tighten the part in your hand to that other part the harder it is to adjust the eyeball.

Attachments

• Eyeball fitting exploded view.jpg
    Eyeball fitting exploded view.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 82

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well there's no capacitor, only a centrifugal switch. I was able to put some lithium grease on the springs to help loosen it. Now it hums for 10 secs then starts up. Woohoo.

However I think I'm on borrowed time and the motor will need to be replaced the next time I turn it off. I guess for the rest of this season, I'll have to eat the electric bill and leave it on 24/7.

This model doesn't look like you can access it. The switch is inside the motor casing and there doesn't look to be away to access the inside of the motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.