Time to give up and buy PoolCleaner?

I have a play pool with similar depths as yours. My "deep end" is actually the 5' center of my pool. My Paramount PCC2000 in floor cleaning system does an incredibly nice job of keeping my pool floor clean. I have noticed one small area where dirt, grass, and mulch accumulate from time to time, but this situation is resolved by the next day.

I know absolutely nothing about in-floor cleaning systems but will say the physics doesn't entirely make sense to me ;)

If the height of the head is no higher than a main drain, I do not expect cleaners like the dolphin m4 spreme or m5 would have any trouble with them.

But my suggestion would be to "try it before you buy it" from a Local pool store/dealer. That's how I determined my m4 was a good fit for my pool. I wouldn't trade it for the world ;)

Update: I called A&A customer service today. They referred me to their local service rep. Called him and he will be out on Monday to look at the system. He gave some hope that he may be able to optimize its performance. Fingers crossed. If not I'm thinking Poolvergnuegenu 2X.

I'll be looking forward to hear what he does to your system or has to say about optimizing your setup. Please let us know!

As for running "The Pool Cleaner", do you have separate return lines (apart from the in-floor heads)? If so, the heads will be retracted almost completely flush with the pool surface and the cleaner will just roll right over them. If you don't have separate returns, maybe you can set the in-floor heads on the step/shelf area to remain on continuously (lock that zone on) and manually point the head discharge to point to the middle of the pool. Then the cleaner would have unrestricted access to the entire floor area. Obviously, you'd need to manually brush the step/shelf area to keep it clean - as the cleaner probably won't climb up there anyway.

How would you connect the cleaner to the system? Is there already a built in vac port or would you connect through the skimmer?

BTW - my daughter has "The Pool Cleaner" 2 wheel model and loves it. She runs it 2-3 times a week for 4 hours. It keeps her 13,0000 gallon play pool quite clean.

I'll be looking forward to hear what he does to your system or has to say about optimizing your setup. Please let us know!

As for running "The Pool Cleaner", do you have separate return lines (apart from the in-floor heads)? If so, the heads will be retracted almost completely flush with the pool surface and the cleaner will just roll right over them. If you don't have separate returns, maybe you can set the in-floor heads on the step/shelf area to remain on continuously (lock that zone on) and manually point the head discharge to point to the middle of the pool. Then the cleaner would have unrestricted access to the entire floor area. Obviously, you'd need to manually brush the step/shelf area to keep it clean - as the cleaner probably won't climb up there anyway.

How would you connect the cleaner to the system? Is there already a built in vac port or would you connect through the skimmer?

BTW - my daughter has "The Pool Cleaner" 2 wheel model and loves it. She runs it 2-3 times a week for 4 hours. It keeps her 13,0000 gallon play pool quite clean.

My pool builder gave me separate returns for floor cleaner, side returns, spa return, and a fountain in the spa, all with individual valves. On my suction side I have the skimmers, floor drains, spa drain, and a cleaner/vacuum port again all with separate valves. So connecting a cleaner isn't a problem.

I had assumed the PoolCleaner would clean my shelf area. I had an old Polaris cleaner with a booster pump in my previous pool and it always climbed the walls right up to the waterline, so I was hoping the same would be true of the PoolCleaner. Maybe the 4 wheel unit would be a better choice.

If I give up completely on the in floor system, I could pull the gear/valve assembly out of the housing and water would flow through all heads at once. That should give me good return distribution through out the pool and the heads wouldn't pop up. They should only open a fraction of an inch.

Excellent that you have all the extra suction and return lines. I'm guessing you can isolate the in-floor also. Flexibility is always a plus.

Just double-checked with my daughter and SIL, they have never seen the cleaner up on their sun shelf (which is the depth of a second step). Doesn't mean it never has been, but they've never noticed it up there. They brush the steps/shelf several times a week and the walls once a week. She did say the cleaner does climb the wall about a foot or so. And I'm not sure if they have the suction to the cleaner set correctly either. Not certain if the 4 wheel would make any difference in climbing ability or not.

Always nice to have the option to run the in-floor, even if only to better circulate the water evenly top to bottom to balance the temps.

I just replaced all 16 heads on mine this spring. After the water warmed up a bit, I got in and adjusted the heads of each zone to blow in a particular direction to improve the flow pattern. No need to have one zone blowing stuff in one direction just to have the next blow it back again. Mine has 3 heads per zone - except zone one (which is the top step and sun shelf), which has 4. I also have a leaf trap just prior to the pump inlet which catches all the main drain debris. And there is always stuff in there - it gets emptied each time I empty the skimmer basket.

Any update? What did the A&A rep have to say?
He did some pressure tests on some of the zones and ordered some different replacement heads. He will be back when he has the heads. He says that he should be able to significantly improve its performance. We shall see. At least he said the service should be covered under warranty, no complaints there.

Thanks for the update. At least they appear to be trying to help you out. Much better then a lot of other companies "after the sale" service. Hope that you see some improvement after he tweaks it. Let us know how it works out.

UPDATE

A&A Rep replaced every single head in the pool as well as the gear pack, all at no charge under their lifetime warranty. It really pays to be the original owner, because it's not transferable. He put new Venturi type heads in the bottom of the pool (list price over $100 each) and the low flow heads (list $80) on the shelf and steps. In other words a couple thousand dollars list price in parts plus two service calls and the labor, all covered under warranty after 10+ years. That is some kind of customer service!

The system doesn't clean the pool perfectly but is a magnitude better than it has ever been. He also had me increase the run time for cleaning and worked with me to reduce the pump RPM to save on energy. So I'm now running it longer but slower, and it seems to be working, so far. May not need that suction side pool cleaner after all!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great to hear you are seeing marked improvement with the system. And you can't beat that kind of customer service. Just one more thing to help keep your pool more trouble free.

In reference to my last paragraph in response #26 above, did you set up each zone so the heads point in a way that there is no blow back toward the zone that just finish? While not perfect, I found adjusting the head direction in that way did improve the cleaning. They will get out of sync after months of use, and I readjust mine about twice a year.

I run mine 4 hours a day on a relatively high speed (2 hours morning and 2 hours afternoon). The rest of the time it's on a very low speed (way too low for heads to pop up) to save electricity. Of course, everyones pool is different and pump time will vary accordingly.

Thanks for the update. And again, glad you are seeing improvement in the cleaning.

Since the heads rotate 30 degrees each time they pop up, at least half of the time they will be facing the previous zone, so in my system at least, I don't know how that wold be possible.

I also have a solar system that usually starts itself about 8-8:30. When heat is called for, it will take over control of the pump speed. So to avoid any conflict with that, I have set up a daily three hour cleaning cycle Starting at 5 am. With each head being open for 1 min (per the manual), it takes 15 sec for transition between zones. The 30 degree rotation means the head has to go through 12 cycles for full 360 rotation. 1.25 min X 12 cycles X 6 zones = 90 min for a full system cycle. That means in 90 min every head has been run in every position. So the three hours allows for two full cleaning cycles daily. I have also set the "Quick Clean" button on my pump to the speed we have determined was the most effective flow for the cleaning system (2800 RPM) and 90 min run time. So it will start one full cleaning cycle at the touch of a button, any time I see that it's needed.

Sounds like you have a good plan on your cleaning run timing. And I also like the idea of setting up the Quick Clean to run for one full cycle of the heads. :thumleft: I think I'll set that up later today after the equipment is in the shade (presently, it's on the default 30 minute setting).

What I meant about the heads pointing in a specific direction is: point all heads in every zone in one direction - say north. Then, as they rotate through each zone, they would more or less all be pointing in the same direction. Using the diagram you posted earlier: you wouldn't want heads in zone 4 to blow debris toward zone 6 just to have zone 6 blow it back to zone 4. I've found that if all heads in all zones are pointed in the same general direction I seem to get better overall cleaning. Of course, this may just be specific to my pool shape and head placememt. So, YMMV.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.