12.5% Chlorniating Liquid - Columbia, SC

tim5055

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2014
Franklin, NC
A couple of you from the area have asked, and well, I finally found it - 12.5% chlorinating liquid in Columbia, SC (Forest Acres actually).

Jack Oliver Pool, Spa & Patio stocks 1 gallon jugs, $4.50 each. As of today, date code was 15-121 and being stored inside the store in the middle of the sales floor. Nice and cool, no direct sun. The company is run by two brothers, Jack builds pools and Stephen runs the store. Two former Florida guys who know how a pool should be run with liquid chlorine. For full disclosure I purchased my M5 and my Hot Springs hot tub from them. I don't know how,I missed the chlorine before.

Talking to Stephen, he said they would,like to have a bulk chlorine tank but are afraid that sales would not make it worth their while.

The price works,out to use about the same as WalMart 8.25% but you don't have to deal with Walmart.

Jack Oliver Pools - Home

And you get to haul like 40% less bottles. Or is my math whacky? I'm sitting in the pool with a beverage and no calculator so I could be way off on that. :)

And you get to haul like 40% less bottles. Or is my math whacky? I'm sitting in the pool with a beverage and no calculator so I could be way off on that. :)

The 12.5% chlorinating liquid is in Trade % so is % Available Chlorine by volume and has a Weight % Available Chlorine of 10.8%. The 8.25% bleach is the weight % of sodium hypochlorite and has a Weight % Available Chlorine of 7.9%. So from a weight perspective, it's 7.9/10.8 = 0.73 so around 27% less weight to carry for the equivalent chlorine amount.

In terms of volume, the 12.5% chlorinating liquid is 12.5% Available Chlorine by volume while the 8.25% bleach is 8.64% so it's 8.64/12.5 = 0.69 so 31% less volume to carry. The extra savings in volume comes from the fact that the chlorinating liquid is a little denser than the bleach.

Well, it's a little outside my normal driving area, but very close to Trader Joes where I get my wine so I'm keeping it as an option. Ollies has 10% here for $2.99 which is a decent savings over both Walmart and the 12.5 I found. When Ollies runs out I will switch.

I'm going through a lot this weekend doing a SLAM :(. That will be the subject of another post when I'm done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.