Pump motor running extremely loud

600m

Jun 12, 2015
Pennsville, New Jersey
I had replaced my motor at the beginning of this season and it was running great with no issues. However after a bad storm about 2 or 3 weeks ago the water level had risen pretty high in the pool and the timer was set to turn on before I was able to drain some water out, and now the motor is very loud while it's running. Idk if the water level would have something to do with this problem but just noticed it getting louder after that day. It's still circulating the water now.

The pump is a Century 1.5 HP B229SE.

With storms comes debris. I would check the impeller inlet to see if there is anything stuck in the impeller. The water level should not have been an issue unless of course the entire pump motor was underwater.

I didn't replace, it had looked like it was still in good shape so I just reused. But now see that could have been a bad idea if it is in fact a bearing issue. From what I've read on replace the bearings it's pretty time consuming. Is it just easier to get a new motor and seal?

- - - Updated - - -

With storms comes debris. I would check the impeller inlet to see if there is anything stuck in the impeller. The water level should not have been an issue unless of course the entire pump motor was underwater.

Ok I will pull it apart and see if it could be that. I sure hope it is something that simple anyway! I didn't think the water level would do it but figured I'd mention it since that's when I noticed it.

But a pump seal should always be replaced with a motor change and could easily be the cause of the noise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.