Pressure Gauge needle bouncing around a little bit, but more with new gauges.

Catanzaro

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 30, 2014
Monmouth County, New Jersey
I replaced the pressure gauge, not once, but twice with no success. I even had a spare gauge and the new ones are all functioning the same. The needles are bouncing all over the place. I used Teflon tape and did not over tighten. There is no water dripping from the Multi-Port.

Is there air in the system? How do I know? The returns are fine. Could it be the rotating heads create some sort of air movement in the system. Pressure is at 14 psi. I put the old Hayward gauge as that one did not bounce around anywhere near as much as the new ones.

Please help!

If you have an I ground floor system then your gauge will change as it rotates thru the different stations. Different sized nozzles, different amount of heads, and pipe runs will account for this. Sometimes vibration from the pump or the filter not sitting flat on its base can cause the needle to vibrate.

If you have an I ground floor system then your gauge will change as it rotates thru the different stations. Different sized nozzles, different amount of heads, and pipe runs will account for this. Sometimes vibration from the pump or the filter not sitting flat on its base can cause the needle to vibrate.

The pump does cause some vibration. I do not have a floor system, but 4 rotating oscillating 360 degree return heads. It appears that there is no air in the system returns or filter pump basket. I can live with the needle bouncing slightly as long as air is not in system. The threads are not stripped either as I am careful in removing and installing gauge.

Vibration on plumbing

I checked this evening the vibration of the plumbing and the filter-pump basket, etc. It appears that this could be the cause of the needle moving back and forth at the 14 psi mark. The other gauges are probably of low quality, while this is the original Hayward (and probably of better quality). I know when I walk on the concrete, the pool water (with filter off) moves. You would think that all that weight of the concrete and a person walking would not effect the water. So I am assuming that the vibration of the filtration system definitely can make the needle move and not stay at a steady 14 psi. The pressure of water through the sand is probably fluctuating slightly.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.