dieseltim2

Jul 15, 2015
griffin, ga
Moved from another thread to prevent hi-jacking.

I wasn't sure what caused it, but it took me about 3-4 weeks to get it clear again.

I thought it might have been baking soda, but it might have been PH up or CYA. What I could tell for sure was the bottom 2 rungs weren't clearly visible, even though all the test were good with FC at 5.8, and CYA at 35, PH at 7.6, and I could see little tiny sparkles at night, if I held my really bright flashlight at the surface shining down. It also felt slimy or slick from the waterline down with a 1-2 inch wide band of white at the waterline.

I tried Super Blue, and even phosphate remover, with a combination of 24/7 filtering and adding DE to my sand filter and back flushed every time the filter pressure climbed above 20psi ( thats 5 psi over normal, with the robot running, and it quits flowing as much as usual). With a good brushing of the sidewalls, and scotchbright at the waterline.

Dieseltim

Re: Why di Soda Ash turn pool cloudy

It sounds to me like an algae bloom - cloudy water, slimy water line. If you have a proper testkit (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006) can you please post a full set of water test results. I believe what you have is algae in your water.

If it is algae, then you need to SLAM your pool. SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

It sounds to me like an algae bloom - cloudy water, slimy water line. If you have a proper testkit (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006) can you please post a full set of water test results. I believe what you have is algae in your water.

If it is algae, then you need to SLAM your pool. SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

I would tend to agree with you except that it was not truly cloudy, with a bright light the haze sparkled like it had micro sized little bits in the water floating around, and without doing a shock or SLAM, it went back to a nice clear pool in about a week of running the pump 24/7 and adding DE to the filter.

Dieseltim

I would tend to agree with you except that it was not truly cloudy, with a bright light the haze sparkled like it had micro sized little bits in the water floating around, and without doing a shock or SLAM, it went back to a nice clear pool in about a week of running the pump 24/7 and adding DE to the filter.

Dieseltim

What were your CCs during that time?

Also, when was the last time you opened up you sand filter and cleaned it thoroughly using the deep-clean procedure outlined in Pool School?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I guess the moderator didn't like me trying to add my 2 cents worth to a thread about the op having a clouding problem after adding soda ash. I had the same clouding happen and thought it was related to the soda ash or baking soda as well.

As far as CC and other details I still have a proper test kit on my wish list. For now I only have an basic cl ph kit and 6 way strips and a one time test at the local pool store ( all they got from me was $9 for a new wall brush).

The sand was inspected when we put up the pool on 5/15.

As of right now the pool is so clear I can read the instructions on the robot when it run by.

It's called hijacking a thread and be thankful that they care enough to keep threads clean. I have been on many other forums where the mods don't care (TFP mods do an incredible job here) and those forums have threads that are basically unreadable and useless. If you read a post and think, " wow, I have the same exact issue" then start your own thread and add a reference link to the post you were reading. Believe me, it is much better to have your own thread even if it covers the same grounds as other threads.

So, on to your problem. If you have no test kit, then I sincerely doubt your readings are accurate. In fact, most of the simple kits read Total Chlorine which is the sum of free chlorine and combined chloramines. Only the Taylor FAS-DPD reagents can separate those two measurements and give accurate results.

So there's not much to say regarding your water issues. Given the collective experience of thousands of TFP post, there's a 99% probability you have an algae problem. You can still have clear water and have algae too. Only the test kit can tell us what is going on. Anything else is just blind guessing that will run you in circles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I guess the moderator didn't like me trying to add my 2 cents worth to a thread about the op having a clouding problem after adding soda ash. I had the same clouding happen and thought it was related to the soda ash or baking soda as well..........
I'm sure it was do to the fact that now there was a second conversation between members in another members thread, also known as hijacking. This can lead to a very confusing thread that is hard to tell who is replying to whom.

As far as your pool, the "feeling slimy" part would have me worried. You should raise your FC up to 10ppm or so and perform an OCLT to determine if there are organics in your pool consuming your chlorine.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/136-perform-the-overnight-fc-chlorine-loss-test-oclt

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.