New member from Kentucky. Tks for letting me join your awesome group.

Crackerjack4u

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 17, 2015
Kentucky
Hello. 1st off, thank you all so much for allowing me to join all you awesome folks at TFP, and thank you for all the wonderful information you offer on this site. I am disabled, and within the next month will be having surgery #35. Yes, you read that right, #35. Sadly, I've had my pool for 5 years, and it has sat unattended, and uncovered for the past 3 years, if that gives you any indication of what it looked like. The pool is some better now, but started out about 2 weeks ago as a nasty, gross, green, slimy, bug and larva infested, swamp. (It's amazing what adding chemicals, and days, and days, of leaf raking/vacuuming out about a truckload of thick green goop off the bottom of the pool can do).

Up until 2 days ago, I didn't even have a decent test kit to even check the levels.( that's how little I knew about pools). Not that the things done would have been close to correct anyway. Yelp, after reading a lot of posts on here I realized we had basically been doing about Everything incorrectly in the past anyway, so hopefully, things are now heading somewhat in the right direction. 2 weeks ago, after the sludge pit was scooped out, I started shocking the pool like crazy, (I didn't have any baseline levels because I didn't have a test kit at the time so I bought strips to check it with lol which was not such a good idea. Everything was just a guess. I threw tons of shock, algaecides, clarifiers, etc. in not even aware of what I needed to be putting in, what levels were high, what levels were low, etc. Then I found this site Whooo Hooo !!!
The entire time I have owned a pool, I've been under the impression that Shock was Shock, until I began reading the posts here on TFP, and I now know that couldn't be further from the truth. (Yes, I feel very stupid not knowing there were different chemicals in, different shocks. But I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one who has ever thought that, so thank you TFP for setting me straight on that which IMO is the 1st step in the right direction). Seriously, to tell you what I thought, when I'd go to Wal-mart to buy shock, and I saw 3 or 4 different types of shock there, I assumed they were all the same chemicals, but just different companies that made them. So naturally, being broke, LOL I just bought the cheapest one they had.

Even without any knowledge, or a tester kit I was somehow able to get the pool from a dark green to a white, cloudy, milky color and it was clearing more, and more each day. Then I ended up in the bed for several days from the pain from walking to, and from the back yard, merely putting chemicals in the pool. So as you can guess, the pool turned dark green again, and everything had to start all over again.

Here's what's been done so far: 1) I've read many, many, posts here at TFP.(Very Smart Move) 2)Looked up info, researched areas of confusion-(As mentioned above, biggest confusion area: All shock is NOT the same. Different types do different things, not all add the same things to your water, and some effect other levels, and/or can buildup and cause damage to your pool/equipment over time). I learned quite a bit, but still have so much more to learn, which I'm looking forward to doing). 3) Ordered a Taylor K-2006 (Another Very Smart Move, received it 2 days ago-(Have already used up all the reagent to check CYA though, so I have to order more of that). 4) Learned it existed, and how to use The Pool Calculator (Very grateful for this little helper too).

Here are some of the test results so far: (My biggest issues right now is properly applying what I have learned the past 2 days, knowing what does what, and even though I kind of sort of know what is suppose to do what, lol all mine must be broken, cause lol they, for some reason, still ain't doing it).
My 1st readings- 2 days ago
FC-0
CC-0
pH-5.8
TA- No idea on the 1st check because when the R-2008 was added it turned Pink instead of green lol. I redid the test several times, but it did the same thing, so I'd say the TA was probably-ZERO, or close to it?
CH-10
CYA-<30

I took several reading between the 1st and last, but won't list them all because the #s are all over the place. Here's what chemicals I've added to pool in the past 2 days so far, and why I thought I needed to add those specific chemicals. I am planning on going completely BBB once I get this mess under control, but for now I'm kind of playing hit and miss, and praying a lot, but am very slowly making some progress.

All chemicals were added per The Pool Calculator suggestions, or based on what TFP posts, and/or TPC said a specific chemical would/should do if added. So please correct me if I've misunderstood what a particular chemical's reaction was suppose to be, etc.

I started out by adding 6 gallons of liquid bleach, but of course that got used up quickly between the algae, and the sunlight. Added borax to try to raise the pH (don't have a checker for this yet, or any MA, so didn't want to go overboard. I didn't add as much of this as the calculator told me too because I had no way of checking the levels, or neutralizing it). Later added pH Up to try to raise pH because limited borax, and no MA didn't help because I still couldn't get pH over 6.5.
Liquid chlorine continuous getting used up quickly too. Added Baking Soda to try to bring up TA, and pH but not much help pH remained at 6.5-6.8. So I Shocked with Calcium Hypo to Super shock, and see if it would help get the algae down some, raise the CYA, and possibly allow any FC to be able to work longer at fighting the algae. That didn't do much, so I shocked with Trichlor to bring up the CYA level some this way. At one time the FC was at 5.0, and the CC was at 20. I know 25 is way too high, but it too was quickly used up, and depleted).

I later got fed up trying to fight the pH issue, but realized later I was actually bringing it down, but unfortunately not before I shocked with 2 pounds of Dichlor to try to bring the CYA up a little, so the FC could work better, and hopefully the pH would rise, but lol since dichlor decreases pH too that didn't happen, DUH LOL I told ya, I have A Lot still to learn).

I eventually did get the CYA up to 30 which finally did start allowing the FC to work a little longer before being spent. I added Alkaline Up that was suppose to also increase pH (according to the jug), but TA increased some, but pH remained at 6.8. Added 4 more gallons of Liquid Bleach at dark to give the chlorine a chance to fight the algae without the sunlight aiding in depleting it. Added pH Up at 7pm, and I am aerating with return pointed up to top of pool surface). So only time will tell what the morning will bring.

My last reading tonight at 7 pm
FC-2.5
CC-4.5
pH-6.8
TA- 40
CH-35
CYA-30

Anyway I think that about covers it. Sorry the post was so long. Any pointers of getting that pH up where it belongs (preferably without MA) would be appreciated. I suspect I'll have to get a borax checker, and some MA, and battle the pH with borax and MA? I'm really not looking forward to learning how to deal with MA because my physical disabilities/limitations makes me very clumsy. So lol with my luck, I'll probably do something stupid, and acid myself to death. Plus there is no deck around the pool, so everything that gets added to it is all uphill, so to speak, which IMO makes it that much harder. I do know I need to stay away from the Cal hypo, trichlor, and dichlor, hopefully if I stop pulling it down, the pH will come up to safe range on it's own. Anyway, any suggestions on what I need to do now would so be appreciated. Have a wonderful day, and Thanks again for letting me hang out with you awesome guys, and gals. I look forward to getting to know you all.

Hello CrackerJack, and welcome to TFP. Well, you have your work cut-out for you, so lets get started shall we:
- Remember to use the Pool School - Recommended Levels to figure out what to use for each tested item. As you already learned, acid does not raise PH or TA, it lowers them. :) But this page will help remind you.
- You also want to always keep this chart Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart handy as it will let you know how much FC you need based on your current CYA. Speaking of CYA, you don't need to keep checking it unless you replaced a lot of water. Once you add stabilizer, consider it good at your projected number. That might help save some reagents later.

So, based on the Poolmath calculator , this is what I believe you should do first:

PH - (Because your TA is so low) Add 31 ounces (basically 2 lbs) of washing soda or soda ash, or you can use 61 (almost 4 lbs) ounces of borax.
TA - Let everything mix real well for about 30 minutes. Then test TA again. If still low, add baking soda (2 pounds at a time), and see how that goes up. Also watch to see if there are any changes with PH as well. Eventually you want the TA at about 70 and PH at 7.2 if possible. Getting PH to 7.2 is most important right now.
FC - Based on last night's FC of 2.5, you would need to add 1 1/2 gallons of bleach to hit your SLAM/Shock level of 12. But since that 2.5 probably disappeared last night with algae, make it TWO full jugs. Then test periodically through the day to stay at an FC of 12.
CC - That's your trash chlorine. Over time, we hope to see that number go to <=.5.
CH and CYA are good. :)

As for acid in the future ... although you don't need it right now. If you do later, you can buy the powdered form of acid if you're concerned about safety and spilling. But it does typically need to be diluted in a bucket first, so I'm not sure that makes it any easier on you. Just something to consider.

I hope all of this helps. Let us know if you need anything else. Welcome to TFP!

Thank you for the excellent suggestions Texas Splash. The readings this morning were a little better except of course the FC which was mostly depleted by the remaining algae.
The reading this morning were:
FC-.5
CC-1.0
pH-7.0 (adding the pH Up, and extended aeration all night seemed to helped some)
TA-100
CH-75
CYA- ? d/t no reagent to check. (I'm glad it's not a have to check every time thing. Tks for that info.) Last check CYA was at 30 so???
(After that check before I saw your message, I added 3 gallons (instead of 2 oops) of Liquid Shock to try to get the FC levels back up)

At Noon check (I've now got a thin, greasy looking film of floating algae yuck on the top of the pool). I'm hoping that's a good sign.
Noon readings were:
FC-1
CC- 2
pH-7.0
TA-75
CH- 100
CYA-? Last time able to check it was 30

(This time I added 1 1/2 gallons of Liquid shock to increase the FC levels back up, and I added 3 1/2 pounds of Borax to try to get the pH up to at least 7.2). I will recheck the levels in a little bit, and see where they are at, and will add Baking Soda (2 pounds at a time) to help bring up the TA if needed at that time.

Also, I have 3 boxes of trichlor, 3 pounds of dichlor, and about 1/2 a bucket of Ca Hypo here too that at some point I'll want to try to use it up. I know they will lower my pH so at what pH range do you think it would be alright to hit the pool with a bag of trichlor, or dichlor (I won't use the ca hypo during these adjustment stages, but was curious if using either of the other 2 once the pH gets to a certain level would be alright, or should they just be used in an emergency only? I will update my new levels soon. Again thank you so much for your help, it is much appreciated.

You're doing good. A couple follow-up notes now:
- Don't bother testing PH while your FC is high fro a SLAM. PH testing becomes inconsistent during this time. Save the reagents. :)
- Definitely keep that FC up at it's SLAM level. The fact that your CC increased is probably due to the fact that (yes) the algae is breaking down and thta's yoru "trash" chlorine at work. Eventually we would hope that goes back down to less than .5.
- No need to test CH for a while. It's typically "N/A" for a vinyl pool anyways. :)
TA is fine.

SO just keep-up with the FC level and continue to brush the pool and check ANYWHERE that you believe could be a hiding spot for algae. The SLAM can day a while, so don't give up. You'll know you are getting close when you are about to pass the 3 SLAM criteria. Have a great day!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I would hold-off on using the old bags of shock for now. Let's just focus on the poolmath numbers and then later once everything is done, you may have an opportunity to use those products to your advantage.

UPDATE: 4:30 PM. I was a little late on testing. We had a huge down pour of rain, and I also had to go get more liquid shock. (LOL I can't imagine why I might have ran out).

It was about 4 1/2 hours between SLAM and testing, so I did go ahead prior to adding shock etc. and checked the pH this time too, since it had been that long since the last SLAM. Greasy yucky dead algae is still floating on top of the water (lol I guess it could be worse, it could be live algae or those hideous bugs, and larve that were in there to begin with). The pool is actually looking a little better though, it's more Blue and clearer, instead of green and cloudy, so I do believe we are heading in the right direction. I took some pictures that I'll try to post later too.

4:30Pm test levels, and what I did.
FC-1 (The calculator suggested I add 1.7 gal or 214 Oz of shock to raise it back to SLAM level, but I did go ahead since it's getting used up so fast, the rain, sunlight etc., plus now I'm having to add water to the pool too, so I added 2 gallons, instead of 1.7gal, and I'll recheck in a bit.

CC-1

pH-7.2 Whooo Hooo lol, so the Borax helped get it up some more. Because it did rain, and plus now I'm also having to add water to the pool, in an attempt to try and keep it at 7.2, I went ahead, and added the other 1/2 pound of Borax that I didn't add at Noon.

TA-75 unchanged (which I was surprised because of the heavy rain?) (I added 2 pounds of Baking Soda to try to bring up TA level as you suggested earlier) Plus I'm sure more will be needed because of having to add the water now.

I also have a question that I'm curious about. I still have the water, that is returning to the pool, pointed up across the pool surface to help raise the pH, (It actually cleans the top of the pool great in that position, but I'm also concerned about the bottom too). Since the pH is currently at 7.2, should I continuing pumping the pool with it in that position, or should I move it back downward from time to time to move the stuff on the bottom around, help stir it up, and help move the bottom stuff to the center for easier vacuuming, or will it being aimed at the top, stir up the bottom stuff well enough too? Either way is fine, but I'm trying to figure out what would be best, (or even if it makes a difference), in regards to everything that's going on in there (low levels, high algae, etc.). Thank you again for all your help!!! I'll post an update soon. Am I posted this stuff correctly, or should I update on the original post or in a different forum? Sorry if I am doing my posting wrong, please let me know if I need to do something different.

The best thing for you to do right now is simply focus on keeping that FC up to its SLAM level at all times. That is priority #1. Don't bother with PH adjusting or testing until the SLAM is finished because those readings change during the SLAM and because of the high FC. You only need to test FC right now, and probably for the next day or two. Save all your other reagent chemicals. Don't try to aerate either. Simply aim your return nozzles down or around to improve water circulation. Keep the bleach input steady for your SLAM FC is the only way to beat the algae. :) Have a nice evening.

Thank you for the suggestions.

I did a recheck at 6:30Pm
FC was 6 whoo hoo, (shocked back up to Slam level.
CC- 4
pH- Not checked d/t being too close to the Slam this time, and probably won't be accurate as you stated above.
TA- 80**** ?? Not sure if SLAM caused that, or the Baking soda or a combo of both. Water is still currently being added to the pool, so hopefully it will drop the TA down to 70 that we are shooting for by morning. Letting everything ride except bumping up FC levels to Slam shock level.
Thank you again for everything. You have a nice evening too.

Crackerjack! You have already made so much progress! That is wonderful!

Texas has you covered! Keep listening to him!

For the next couple of day do NOT test anything other than the FC. Test it as often as you can. Try for every other hour if possible. The more you test the faster your water will clear!

If you want to run out for a while you can push the FC up just over the SLAM level to make sure it does not go below your SLAM level.

Kim (35 surgeries :( NOT fun!)

You're doing a great job! Texas is taking great care of you! Focus on keeping the FC up, brushing when you can and filtering!

I'm cheering for you! You're on the right track!

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you kimkats. The progress I have made so far would have never been possible had it not been for all the help, suggestions, and knowledge, given to me by my very 1st TFP buddy, Texas Splash :D, him, a long with all the useful information/Pool Math calculator, etc. found on this site are what has kept the progress going.

I will continue to only check FC for a couple days as both you, and Texas have suggested.

I do have some really stupid questions about "Stabilizer". Not to try to sound like a total idiot here, but I'm not exactly sure because there are so many different types out there, what exactly they are talking about when they mention stabilizer. Some say stabilizer, some say stabilizer/conditioner. Was I suppose to put actual "Stabilizer" in my pool at some time, or did something I'm using, or have already used in it, added stabilizer to it for me? (I do have 2 things here that I've not used, one item is merely labeled Stabilizer, and the other is labeled pH Stabilizer, is one of these what they are talking about, and if so, do I need to add that to my pool now, and how do I determine how much?
If neither of those are what they are referring to, then what exactly do I need to buy, when do I need to add it, and how do I determine how much to add?

Also I did do another FC check, and it was, drum roll please lol, - 10.5 and yes, I am counting that .5 lol. So I shocked up to Slam level-(I added 28 oz this time verses the 2 gallons I had to add at 4:30 to reach Slam level, so keeping my fingers crossed that it holds better overnight, and the morning brings better numbers, and a clearer pool.

I know this nasty pool mess didn't happen overnight, so I certainly don't expect it to get fixed overnight either. I'm just hoping the algae gives up, and fizzles out, before I do lol, but it's going to be a close call because I'm about done for already. (like they said on the movie "Road House" "I might be great comin' out of the gate, but not much for stamina." LOL

Yes kitkat, as you said, 35 surgeries are not fun. Not fun at all. What is fun though is all this new knowledge I'm gaining on TFP, and meeting kind, caring, and helpful folks like yourself, and Texas Splash. Thank you both for everything. All your help is really appreciated. I hope you both have a wonderful night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello CrackerJack.

Stabilizer/conditioner is your CYA. You don't want to add anymore right now but you may have to add a little more when your slam is done. I keep mine around 40 sometimes I'll go a little higher if we have an extremely hot summer or my pool is not holding chlorine very good. You can determine what the best CYA level is best for your pool after the slam is done and you can see how your pool behaves on a daily basis.

Hang in there CJ. Even if you do not pass the overnight chlorine loss test (OCLT), the bleach will start to win the battle. The demand for bleach will start to level-off, and you won't have to test quite so often. It may continue for a while, but at least not seem so hectic. The best part is when you start to see some changes in the water - light at the end of the tunnel. You'll get there. :)

Thank You Pogueld, I need all the cheering on I can get. :rockon:

Thank you for the info April. I see you are a Kentuckian too. :) What part of Ky. are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you Texas. The water this morning is a little clearer, but there is still a lot of greasy algae yuck floating just below the surface, but that might be from being stirred up from brushing the walls, and bottom? Leaf raking revealed no significant debris from the bottom of the pool this morning. Your advice seems to be working :super: thank you so much.

The FC level held a little better last night, and was FC-5.5 at 6AM (so I added 10% Liquid shock to bring it back up to Slam level). I will recheck FC levels again shortly, and list the results.

How do you add in an update to a post? I've tried to add the results into the previous post by using the edit option, but for some reason it will Not save the edit info that I put in (I don't know if I have to have a certain number of posts before I can edit it, or not. I know I have to have a certain number of posts before I am allowed to edit or update any info in my signature, so I thought maybe the edit/update in the posts were possibly under the same rules? So anyway that's why I've had to do new replies because I end up having to remove what I put in and cancle out the edit because it refuses to save it. Thank you all for your help, and support.

CJ PLEASE know that there is NO stupid question here at TFP. There are so many FC, CYA, balancer, etc that it IS mind blowing!

Ask and someone (April this time) will answer.

Here is a link you will love. It will explain all of the letters and tell you want stuff we use to raise/lower/change each part of the water so that it is all balanced in the end. I printed it out so I could reread it and make notes on it.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Here is some homework for you to use your new found knowledge. Look at your PH stabilizer and see if you can figure out what it is. I THINK I know so when you look at it with the above link come back and share as I would like to know also.

HUGS! You are learning SO much already. Keep asking questions and reading!

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

We do not edit old posts. We just keep the thread going. Now if you post RIGHT after you just posted (as I am doing) it will update on it's own. We are used to building threads. You will get used to it as well.

Kim

CJ, no worries about editing the posts. Sometimes that happens based on character limits or something else we have no control over. Continuing on this thread with a new updated post is just fine. :) Stay steady with the FC and bleach, and little-by-little, you will see improvements each day. Have a great day!

Yes Pogueld, I'm already seeing some improvements with it remaining up as opposed to being all used up fighting the algae, but there is still a ways to go.

The stuff that is floating isn't able to be removed right now, I've tried. If I try to get it, it just scatters into more smaller particles.
Currently, I'm running my filter with a knee high pantyhose in the skimmer basket trying to catch as much of the tiny stuff, and goop as I can when it comes through. I feel whoever came up with the knee high in the skimmer basket idea was absolutely brilliant because it works great, and helps a lot. So, I took their brilliant idea even a step further, and created my own unique device too. I took a pair of actual pantyhose, and placed the butt part over my manual hand held skimmer, and used the pantyhose legs to tie them onto the skimmer so they don't fall off in the center of the pool. It works great, and picks up a ton of tiny particles, dead bugs, gnats, etc. that would just go on through the regular skimmer. But as far as the floating algae, it just breaks up, and goes on through anyway. I really don't know if petite size pantyhose would fit over the entire skimmer, or not, but unfortunately lol I don't have to worry about that problem.

Thank you Kim. It was like I should have known the answers to the questions, but I didn't. I was unclear about it, so I asked. I did feel really stupid asking the questions which I felt the answers should have been self explanatory. I knew what a stabilizer does, lol it stabilizes, but I had no idea what I was suppose to be stabilizing, why I was stabilizing it, how the stabilization effect the other chemical aspects of the pool, and how my pool was consider "Stabilized" when I had not specifically put any thing that actually said "Stabilizer" in it. I put it in the garage, but not in the pool lol. I'm sure by now you've guessed that I'm the type of person who wants the who, what, when, where, and whys to everything.

I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions along the way. I hope all my question asking doesn't get on anyone's nerves because lol because it can get bad sometimes. LOL Sometimes with all the questions I have, I even get on my own nerves. So I'd expect nothing different from anyone else.

Kim You are absolutely correct about me going to love the additional knowledge I get from the link. I really appreciate it. LOL I will do my homework, gain some more great knowledge, so I don't remain a Pool Fool LOL. I will also check the pH Stabilizer, and cross reference it with the list, and get back to you on it.

On the Update part did you put that in as a Quick Reply, or something else?

Texas Splash- thank you again for all your help, and you have a nice day too.

I just checked the levels again at 8:30 am
FC-was 8 (added 10% Liq shock to get it back to Slam level).

Ok now for the bad part-I usually try to joke around and act like everything is Ok, but everything is Not ok. To be totally honest here, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to do hourly levels today, or not. I am literally dying from the pain. My feet and legs are swollen to about 4 times their normal size from all the walking/checks yesterday, and I can just barely fit my feet in my shoes right at the moment. I need to lay down and get my feet up to try to get the swelling and pain level down. I do want to get the pool cleared up, so the hard part/frequent checks will be over and done. I will do the best I can, and check as often as I am able, but I'm certain that hourly checks are going to be out of the question today.

I suspect because of this I probably need to bump the SLAM level up higher for now (maybe to about 15?), so I can do less checks, if possible. Can someone please advice me on if that would be the best solution at keeping this process going, and what would be a good number to bump it up too. I don't want to guess, and just raise it a lot without someone with more knowledge in this process giving me the ok on what to do. I'm so sorry for any inconvenience. Thank you all, and have a wonderful day.

I'm so sorry that you're having a hard time today! You are on the right track as far as bumping up the FC if you can't check as often. Don't shoot higher than mustard shock level on the FC/CYA chart.

You could try testing at 3 hours. If you find it is holding, then you'll know you can go longer.

Hope you feel better soon!

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support