Advice, high CYA, high TA and low Cl-

Jul 16, 2015
San Jose
Hello all, new to the thread and although I have a basic understanding of chemistry I would still like some help/advice. Here are my latest test results.
FC = 1
pH 7.7
TA 140
CYA was slightly over 100 on the test so 125?
I need more reagent to test CH but I did get Lesslies to run a test a bit ago and it was also high. I'm assuming it still is.

I also have some staining appearing on the plaster. Two kinds, one looks like a general dirt and the other looks like rust spots. As a side note, the pool will most likely be replumbed and resurfaced this winter.

My thoughts;
My thought is to add bleach (not sure how much to get up to 2 - 5 ppm) and knock down the TA and the pH with some acid (again, not sure on the total amount), then use the new Bio Active CYA reducer.

Would love to hear peoples opinions on this.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Do NOT use the Bio-Active CYA Reducer. It has had terrible results. If you are lucky, it may do nothing, but if you are unlucky it may only convert the CYA into ammonia creating a HUGE chlorine demand and being very, very expensive.

Your FC level is much too low for your CYA level. As you've noted, you need to reduce your CYA which you can do with water replacement. In the meantime, target your FC to be at least a minimum of 7.5% of the CYA level. You can use PoolMath to calculate dosages.

You should get your own good test kit if you don't already have either the TFTestkits TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006. If you have a Taylor K-2005, then you can add the FAS-DPD chlorine test to it.

Your CYA is probably high because you've been using Trichlor pucks/tabs so stop using those and switch to using chlorinating liquid or bleach.

Hello all, new to the thread and although I have a basic understanding of chemistry I would still like some help/advice. Here are my latest test results.
FC = 1
pH 7.7
TA 140
CYA was slightly over 100 on the test so 125?
I need more reagent to test CH but I did get Lesslies to run a test a bit ago and it was also high. I'm assuming it still is.

I also have some staining appearing on the plaster. Two kinds, one looks like a general dirt and the other looks like rust spots. As a side note, the pool will most likely be replumbed and resurfaced this winter.

My thoughts;
My thought is to add bleach (not sure how much to get up to 2 - 5 ppm) and knock down the TA and the pH with some acid (again, not sure on the total amount), then use the new Bio Active CYA reducer.

Would love to hear peoples opinions on this.
Welcome to the forum.

Please be sure to visit Pool School. There is a wealth of information there to help you get a better understanding of Trouble Free Pool Care.

Your FC level is dependent on your CYA level, have a look at this FC/CYA chart

The CYA test is pretty much topped out at 100ppm. Your geusstimate of 125 could actually be 150 or higher.

What test kit are you currently using?

As mentioned, use Pool Math to calculate additions. Make sure you enter your pools capacity in gallons at the top. Set all your current levels & goal levels and Pool Math will do all the calculations for you, easy-peasy.

As mentioned, stay away from Bio-Active. Real world usage has shown it to develop more issues than it corrects, and with a CYA level of 100+ you do not need any more "junk" in your pool that will just drive up your chlorine consumption even more.

Be sure to ask questions if you are unsure of anything, especially as far as chemical additions to you pool are concerned, we are all here to help.

Don't let the pool stores talk you into buying "miracle potions". Best thing to do for your pool and your wallet is to stay away from the pool stores.

Dom

Last edited:
Thanks! I agree the pool stores cause more trouble then they help. That is what drove me to the web and finding this site.

Good to know about the bioactive. I will stay away from it. Unfortunately draining isn't an option to get CYA down (I live in California, and we have some water restrictions), so I will just have to live with it and bump up Cl levels for the summer until I have the resurfacing done at the end of the year.

I will also work on getting TA down.

Thanks a bunch for helping!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.