Should I Use a Free Oversize Pump

Oct 5, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Someone I know is filling in their pool and offered me a fairly new Hayward SP2610X15 pump. This is twice the size of my current pump (see signature). I estimate my current pump is 12 to 15 years old and the price of this new one is unbeatable. The filter they have is damaged, so I can't use the filter.

Could my filter handle the flow from this large pump? Thanks!

Max flow rates for DE filters are about 2 GPM/sqft so you shouldn't exceed about 48 GPM. Best flow rate would be around 36 GPM so your current pump might even be considered oversized.

One option is to replace the impeller with the one for the SP2605X7. The motor will use more energy than a standard 3/4 HP uprated pump but it won't cost that much to do.

Thanks for the quick reply and advice.

After reading your comments and thinking about it, I'm going to turn down the pump. A brand new SP2600X5 is under $300 and would be about the right size for my pool. The energy savings after a few years of using this smaller pump would more than pay for it vs. the free pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.