Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I Use a Free Oversize Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I Use a Free Oversize Pump

Someone I know is filling in their pool and offered me a fairly new Hayward SP2610X15 pump. This is twice the size of my current pump (see signature). I estimate my current pump is 12 to 15 years old and the price of this new one is unbeatable. The filter they have is damaged, so I can't use the filter.

Could my filter handle the flow from this large pump? Thanks!
    11x27 in ground, vinyl pool
    ~12,500 gal
    PAC FAB (Pentair) Pinnacle 3/4 hp pump
    Pentair 24 sq ft DE filter
    One skimmer, one return (no main drain)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I Use a Free Oversize Pump

Max flow rates for DE filters are about 2 GPM/sqft so you shouldn't exceed about 48 GPM. Best flow rate would be around 36 GPM so your current pump might even be considered oversized.

One option is to replace the impeller with the one for the SP2605X7. The motor will use more energy than a standard 3/4 HP uprated pump but it won't cost that much to do.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Should I Use a Free Oversize Pump

Thanks for the quick reply and advice.

After reading your comments and thinking about it, I'm going to turn down the pump. A brand new SP2600X5 is under $300 and would be about the right size for my pool. The energy savings after a few years of using this smaller pump would more than pay for it vs. the free pump.
    11x27 in ground, vinyl pool
    ~12,500 gal
    PAC FAB (Pentair) Pinnacle 3/4 hp pump
    Pentair 24 sq ft DE filter
    One skimmer, one return (no main drain)