Spa spillover design

lvrpl

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2015
Dallas, TX
Hi everyone, we're in the middle of our pool remodel and I was hoping to get some thoughts on the design of our spa spillover. We're changing the top surface of the spillover from tile to stone, which we really like. My question is about the height of the spillover. The original design (pictured below) has the spa spillover at a lower height for the entire radius that is adjacent to the open pool water.

PoolBIG.jpg

However, the builder suggested increasing the height of the spillover to be level with all the other coping except for a small section in the center, as shown below (this is our pool - he even started building it up that way today because of a miscommunication, but I noticed it when I got home tonight).

Spa_spillover_high.jpg

We're going to meet tomorrow morning to decide how we'd like it. What do you think? The higher spillover creates more of a walled-off feel for the spa that I'm not sure I like (I'm sure our toddler would love jumping between the spa and pool which would be easier with a lower spillover), but the builder said that's what most of his clients are doing now.

Would you do the higher spillover that's flush with the rest of the coping, or the lower spillover like the older design? Thanks for any input!

It is a personal preference.
My spa has a very wide spillover.
It suited the stacked stone spillover where water gently spills down the steps.
A narrow spillway means it will be a more concentrated high volume spillway, a deluge.
My neighbor doesn't have a spillway as such, he has five square stainless steel pipes embedded in spa wall that the water spills though.
To each their own.

I went with a 24" wide spill over on mine. I like it because it creates a nice water fall feature if I turn on the jets.

IMVX2_uMVZvN4116zTcebcKLhcGPpYAY8RUKZCMWIi8=w1274-h956-no

It's looking beautiful! I can't stop looking at that tile. I love it! It keeps calling me back over and over. It's so colorful and at the same time, subtle! It IS perfect with all your choices! I really can't wait to see this pool with water.
Take care. Suz.

I think I like the higher wall near the steps down especially. That one section looks a little awkward to me.

However, as to how wide or how many spill ways, I don't have any thoughts one way or the other. I don't believe I have ever been in a pool with a spa. My gut is to go with ozdiver's idea of wider or more spillways to avoid a deluge in one spot. Have you seen his pool?

Thanks for all the thoughts, very helpful.

We decided to open it up wider, but not quite as wide as the original spillway. In the pictures below, we marked where the spillover will be widened to with the tiles that lay flat all the way across the top (so it's maybe going to be 6 feet wide).

Pool4.jpg

Pool2.jpg

I do like the idea of making it narrow enough to have a little waterfall effect but I think we'll like a wider spillover more because we've got a couple of young kids that will really like jumping back and forth between the pool and spa when they're playing and I think the wide spillover will make that a lot more easy/inviting.

Hopefully it looks alright when we're done!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.