Platinum Supporter
May 16, 2011
TX (~30 miles south of Dallas)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
We are interested in upgrading our pool finish beyond traditional white plaster for added longevity. I also don't care for the stark white look. Our builder offers also a standard a grey plaster using black sand to tint the white plaster. There is a lot of mottling in this finish, but I'm not sure how much I care about that at this point. This is what the builder says about the grey plaster:

"The white plaster with black sand I install on 90 percent of my pools has added strength with black sand as it acts as an aggregate due to the fact that the granules are larger than white sand....studies have shown it to be stronger than white plaster and has the look of an upgraded plaster because of the speckles...its very attractive!"

The next upgrade with this builder is Quartzscapes, and then River Rok after that. The builder is pretty down an the pebble aggregates because of their roughness especially for kids, so it has me a little concerned now. Any thoughts on the black sand comment, or on the other products for our needs?

Edit: (added question)

Also, what is the prevailing opinion on unexposed quartz? The builder said some people will go with quartz but leave it unexposed, and it will expose gradually on its own. Theoretically, this adds life to the quartz but doesn't immediately show off the quartz aggregate. But then I would wonder what the exposure looks like down the road. Uneven, I would expect. Has anyone heard of this?

Go with Quartz and get it exposed. A good installer can get very good exposure without acid wash, but acid wash gives more exposure. Do not go unexposed, or you'll never see the true beauty of the finish. Tinting plaster usually results in mottling, but the better the installer, the less you'll have. Personally, I would go with a top shelf Quartz over pebble for smoothness. That is a very good one. WetEdge and CLI are also excellent. I would suggest talking to more than one contractor as well. There are many in the DFW region, so look around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.