Making sure I am on the right track

Jul 14, 2015
Omaha/NE
Hi Everyone,

The pool finished filling on Wednesday and Yesterday my Taylor 2006 arrived so I was able to get some readings.

FC 1
PH 8
TA 70
CYA 0
CH 120

We put half of the recommended dose of conditioner in a sock first thing on Thursday. We added additional conditioner to the sock today. Using Pool Math I did the following this AM

This morning I added 40 oz of bleach (shooting for 3) and 16 oz of muriatic acid

I retested an hour ago and just tested for FC, PH, and TA. After reading everything I can possible read in this forum, I understand it will take a few days for CYA to show up so I didn't test that again.

FC 1
PH 7.6
TA 60

I did add about another 40 oz of bleach and I have not added baking soda yet, and am wondering when I should test again. Should I test tonight when the sun goes down and again in the morning? I have pretty much taken over caring for the pool from the hubby and he is questioning FC not coming up very fast.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

You're doing fine.

You got the pH down perfectly.
The TA is okay where it is. You have a vinyl pool, so there's no danger of etching plaster.
You have very little active CYA yet, so your FC will disappear within hours in the sun.

If you want to reassure yourself, raise FC again around sunset and let the pump run a while, then retest FC after no more sun hits the pool. Check it again in the morning before the sun hits it. If it's the same, or really close, there's nothing eating it up but the sunlight and as soon as the CYA dissolves and disperses, it will start holding better.

Just for comparison, 2-3 FC loss per day is typical for pools with CYA in the water and you have hardly any yet. I think it's too early to panic.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.