New inground vinyl concerns

robertmee

Jun 26, 2015
Raleigh
So today was first day I've had an opportunity to use a mask and swim our new pool. I found a few areas of concern but not sure how concerned I should be.

1) Large craters on deep end wall where the vertical plane begins to slope down to the bottom floor. There are three or four of these and as large as a volley ball and deep enough that it forms a ledge I can almost stand on. Ive read about lunar surfaces on vermiculite pools but is this size normal? When I say volleyball size I don't mean a whole ball would fit but that the concavity is about such that a ball would sit in it.

2) There's a silver dollar patch I found in the liner on the sloped wall below the skimmer. Do liners routinely come from manufacturers with patches or is this something installer did and didn't tell us.

3) in shallow end floor there feels like a rock under the floor in one spot. Should this be of concern wearing through liner or normal?

I assume you did not see them install the liner. Sounds like they had some mistakes in the poolcrete installation and didn't get them out.

Liners are typically not patched. That would bug me.

The rock-like object would bug me, too

Those three tings are not right. The only way they can make them right is to drain the pool and put in a new liner. Perhaps you can negotiate something else with them.....like an extended warranty.

If you paid them to fix the the walls and make it smooth than thats what they should have done. The rock like things is prob just a piece of vermic sticking up. A 2x4 on edge and tap tapwith the hand will fix that. The patch is unacceptable. U paid for a new liner not a patched one. Eventually that will fail. Thats why you hired professionals right? Thats how I look at it.

So met with pool installer. He's stumped and hasn't seen this before. But his thought is they'll have to pull the liner out this winter and see why the pool Crete is collapsing underneath. That will involve a new liner. Couple of questions...

1. Would it be better to replace in spring and fill fresh vs doing it this winter and having to maintain water over winter? My concern is the collapse gets worse in that it's unknown right now what's causing it.

2. Our pool has poured concrete deck with the bullnose that overhangs the coping. The vinyl appears to disappear under the bullnose. They poured the coping with Styrofoam forms and once set removed the forms. So how can the vinyl liner be removed from under the concrete coping?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.