Water boatmen / water beetle attack! What can I do?

May 30, 2015
Southern Illinois
Yesterday I hunted and smashed about 8 of these little swimming nightmares. Most of the time they were swimming directly at me as I ran away trying to find a net to capture them. I read that they usually feed on algae so I did an OCLT last night and didn't lose anything at all, so I don't think that's the problem. I also checked the ladder and scrubbed the pool (my poor arms) down really good. So assuming the problem isn't algae will they just go away on their own? Or is there something I can do to get them to avoid the pool? I live about 2 blocks away from a lake, so that may be a contributing factor. I wouldn't really care all that much, I've made peace with the tree frogs, but they bite and I often have my niece in the pool with me and don't want her getting bit. Thanks!

not much to do unfortunately other than what you are doing. even with no algae they are still going to be around, since they like water. high FC from what I have read is hit or miss. borates apparently have limited success.

I have heard they are transient, so just a matter of waiting for them to move on...or until you kill them all.

I am not sure if this is something you would like to do or not but I believe bats eat them. It may be worthwhile to build a Bat house. At night if I turn my pool light on and the beetles will start landing on the water and the bats just swoop down and get them. This also helps because the beetles at my place I believe lay eggs in the grass which turn into grubs which in return attract moles that completely destroy my yard.

I am not sure if this is something you would like to do or not but I believe bats eat them. It may be worthwhile to build a Bat house. At night if I turn my pool light on and the beetles will start landing on the water and the bats just swoop down and get them. This also helps because the beetles at my place I believe lay eggs in the grass which turn into grubs which in return attract moles that completely destroy my yard.

you see, this is why I love TFP. where else are you going to go and get a recommendation to build a bat house. awesome. sounds really cool too, would love to see bats regularly, they are fascinating animals.

If they have nothing to eat, they will leave. elevate your chlorine to twice the level called for in the FC/CYA chart for a few days and you will kill off the organic material they are feeding on and they will leave.
Most of the time they were swimming directly at me as I ran away trying to find a net to capture them.
I don't think they are QUITE that aggressive but the mental image you gave me is vivid.:D

If they have nothing to eat, they will leave. elevate your chlorine to twice the level called for in the FC/CYA chart for a few days and you will kill off the organic material they are feeding on and they will leave. I don't think they are QUITE that aggressive but the mental image you gave me is vivid.:D

nope, I think a bathouse is the way to go, and should be THE TFP recommended solution.

If they have nothing to eat, they will leave. elevate your chlorine to twice the level called for in the FC/CYA chart for a few days and you will kill off the organic material they are feeding on and they will leave. I don't think they are QUITE that aggressive but the mental image you gave me is vivid.:D

I will try it, thank you sir! Also, it could be that my current was dragging them toward me but it was enough to get a high pitched squeal out of me. Now your mental image is more vivid. :D

- - - Updated - - -

I'm kind of scared of bats but maybe this could be my origin story? :p

- - - Updated - - -

I have also read dawn dish soap causes a film on the top of the pool that will essentially drown them all, although it doesn't last. Any truth to this?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.