Clumps of Algae? at Bottom.

NCMau

Jul 17, 2015
Stedman, NC
Every few days few clumps of dark greenish matter (dust-like) show up at the bottom of the pool. They are easily removed with the vacuum. I assume they are dead algae but I really don’t know. The water is balance and properly sanitized. Can you shed some light on what these clumps are and is there anything I can do to prevent them?

Welcome to the forum!

If you are seeing Algae in the pool, it can't be properly balanced or sanitized. Algae only grows in pools with inadequate Free Chlorine. If you have your own test kit, and can post some test results, we can help you find out what's going on.

Do you have some test results (numbers please)?

Dead algae isn't usually green - that's more likely live algae, or something else.

My test reading of today: Free chlorine=5, Alkalinity=40, PH=7.8, Hardness=250. Water is clear and test strips were purchased a month ago.
To give a you a little background, about a month ago I was out of town for few days and the pool maintenance got somewhat neglected. When I came back the water was green. I took over a week to get the water balance again by means of vacuum on waste, chemicals and double shock.
The clumps in question actually are somewhat dark gray with a greenish over tone.
My question is, should I expect to see clumps of this nature from time to time (with proper water balance), or is it something I am not doing right? I backwash just about every day.
I guess what I can do is to vacuum on waste one more time and go from there. I am very open to suggestions.

Thanks Richard. They look like exactly as you describe. Now my question is, what is the best way to get rid of them? Vacuum on waste or back flush? Will these dust bunnies be persistent occurrences or will they eventually disappear? (assuming the water is kept in balance).

Attachments

• Dead algae.JPG
    Dead algae.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 50
Thanks Richard. They look like exactly as you describe. Now my question is, what is the best way to get rid of them? Vacuum on waste or back flush? Will these dust bunnies be persistent occurrences or will they eventually disappear? (assuming the water is kept in balance).
Vacuum them up into the filter and perform a SLAM. Follow the SLAm instructions and don't neglect to seriously clean any ladders or steps or pool light niches. Your water isn't cloudy, so it could be a very brief SLAM, a day or two to pass all three tests. And once it's all gone and filtered out and backwashed away, you just need to maintain correct FC for your CYA and you'll never see it again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.