Just let my pool go green for winter and deal with it on opening?

Jul 21, 2014
herault france
I'm living in Ireland with a pool in France which is used mid June to mid September max. It is an in ground tiled pool of about 80 cubic metres. I use a sand filter. I have in the past got neighbour to throw in a couple of multifunction tablets once a week while I'm away and less between November and March with pump set for two hours a day then. I am not there except for the summer months. For the past two years I have switched off the pump in September and returned in June and dealt with a green pool. The first year I was to have work done which didn't happen and the second year after the work was completed the pool was refilled but was green when I arrived.

After clearing the frogs etc I didn't find the task too difficult to bring the pool right back with a few days shocking the pool and a bit of brushing. I think the initial fear was more daunting the actual task.

I am now thinking that this is the way to go for me in future years throw a winter cover over the pool and walk away. Freezing is not a problem but I would probably cover the pump and pipes with a fiberglass blanket to be safe. There are a lot of benefits for me in this, don't need anyone to look in to put in chemicals, top up water etc. No power or chemicals required for 9 months and I know what to expect when I arrive.

Is there a down side to this plan. Will algae damage tiles or equipment. Will it get more difficult to deal with or have I been lucky as some seem to have great difficulty getting to terms with algae? Does anybody else do this or what do people think.
Tom

I have no opinion on the plan. It seems to fit your needs.

I will say there is no problem with letting the pool go each season.....just as long as you clean it up thoroughly each season

Is the pool above ground or in-ground? Why not just follow the closing procedures here at TFP -

Closing an In Ground Pool

OR

Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool

By following those procedures, it is likely that cleaning up the pool when you open it up for the summer would be a little easier. Also, you say you don't have to worry about freezing but is that because the location never gets cold enough to freeze? Even transient drops in temperature below freezing can be deleterious to pipes full of stagnant water. If you follow those procedures above, then blowing out the lines and moving equipment indoors (if possible) will ensure that most of your plumbing is protected in case of some freak weather event. Just a suggestion.

I just looked up Herault, France....WOW, I've heard southern France is spectacular!! Can I come and close your pool ;)

Forget the part about freezing! You're definitely in no danger of that!! However, this entry in Wikipedia broke my heart (being of Italian origin) -

The catastrophic frost of the winter of 1956 damaged the olive trees, and the olive-growing regions did not recover until the late 1980s. Many of the olive-industry co-ops closed.

Thanks for the replies, basically I am happy that once you kill the algae and filter it you are ok. As long as algae doesn't damage anything I'm happy to let it bloom when not around as it can happen anyway.. The thermostat controlled switch is sweet and will definitely go for one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.