Yay, Foreclosure Pool!!!

Jul 6, 2015
Fort Worth. TX
Hi!

I posted in the welcome forum a little background, but as you've probably guessed from the title of this thread, my pool is in VERY rough shape.

I went to Leslie's last week (hey, I didn't know better!) and $200+ later walked out with their Algae Free Guarantee course of treatment. I followed all of their instructions to the tee.... Still green.

We decided it was my filter, so we scheduled a cleaning. The algae had caked on so badly, it caused the spines of all seven of my grids to buckle! So now I have 7 new algae free grids and a clean filter. The pool guy suggested I put my pump to "re-circulate" to keep the filter clean. This is where it's at now.

That day (two days ago), I went back to Leslie's to test my water and try their algae free course again. (Again, I didn't know better!)

I'm finished with the last chlorine portion of their course of treatment, but my pool is still green.

Should I add liquid concentrated laundry bleach to the pool until it clears up before adding their Clear Aid?

I figured I'd post, binge on "pool school" and get any advice while I wait for my test kit, vacuum hose, and roller vacuum head arriving Saturday (gotta love Amazon)!

Headed to the full site to post pics! Thanks for your help!!!

You know, green used to be my favorite color...

Last edited:
If your avatar is your pool.. that's a big pot of pea soup!
Go to the Pool School part of the forum and read up on SLAMing your pool this is the TFP version of shocking.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl
You'll need a good test kit to monitor the progress.

The pros here will guide you through the process when you get stuck.

BTW Its been years since I was last in a Leslie's, How does Leslie's guarantee you'll be algae free.. do you get your money back if it doesn't work? heh heh..
Mark

Hi, Katie,

Return everything you can to Leslie's. Order a very good test kit (see Pool School) and then get ready to get your pool crystal clear using nothing but bleach. You will likely use a lot of it but you'll be stunned at the education and results you will get. We'll help every step of the way.

Well Katie, unfortunately you've been "pool stored". :grrrr: Don't worry, we all were at one time. As Dave mentioned earlier, you need a few basics to get on-track such as:
- TFTestkits.net. Here you can order the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. Both are great, but you'll get more reagents from the TF-100. Consider the XL option and speed stir. :)
- You will need to SLAM from the Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. It will take a lot of liquid bleach, but you can do it. But you need that test kit to do it.
- Don't put anything else in your water except regular liquid bleach - generic is fine from Wal-Mart of HEB. I would suggest until you receive your test kit, just add one gallon each evening. It won't clear-up the water yet, but hopefully keep it from getting worse until you receive your kit in the mail.
- Keep this chart handy: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. You will refer to it all the time.

For now, read-up and be very familiar with the SLAM link above, and stock-up on bleach. Your filter will not clear your water. Only fixing your water chemistry will do that, and the test kit and this site will help you accomplish that goal. It's all kinds of hot here in TX, but we'll help you convert the pea green to clear so you can get a couple good months of swimming out of this season. :)

Katie you've come to the right place and you've been given great advice to get your started. Just here to cheer you on and say you won't be sorry about testing your own water and becoming the queen of your pool instead of the peasant to the pool Store. [emoji73]?[emoji6]

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi MarianParoo! I still have their "Clear Aid" and their "Weekly" treatment. I have NO CLUE what chemicals these are dressed up as... I'll definitely try to return them if I can!

As for test kits, I ordered the Taylor K-2006, suggested from a lot of you in other threads :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Thank mguzzy! I'll definitely be SLAMing this weekend!!! Leslie' guarantees it by having you buy A LOT of stuff (I think you even have to buy their $30 brush!!!) and if your pool returns to green in two weeks, they'll replace their course of chemicals... after you do their water test of course. It's fool-proof, right? ::forehead smack:: I'm soooo happy to have found you guys!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Aussieta! I have been using Leslie's Power Powder Plus. ($99 for 25 lbs, which I just finished yesterday).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh wow. OK. I'll stock up at Walmart and add one gallon a night until i get my test kit! Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

This is a pic of the step from day 1 of using Leslie's treatment plan.

Sidenote: This property is sooo interesting! This end of the pool is under a car port!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

When Leslie's cleaned my filter, this is what they found....

- - - Updated - - -

This is what it looked like after adding Green to Clean and 5 lbs of Leslie's Power Powder Plus

Last edited:
A couple of things...could you put your pool specifics in your signature line? Type of filter, type of pool, type of pump, type of pool surface, number of gallons, etc. That helps us help you! Congrats on the K2006! Hope you got the C version as it has more reagent.

This screams foreclosure, but I LOVE this little house. It has such a cool story... I just wish I knew it! :p

- - - Updated - - -

This is the vis this morning. Should I remove our Polaris until we get the water balanced?

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, off to "mom" for a bit. Thanks for allll your help. I'll get to reading your suggestions and adding bleach. Ask away with any Qs you have and I'll answer the best I can!!!

Last edited:
Hi! I've tried to update my siggy three times now and it's still not showing up. Here's what it would read:

"Foreclosure --NO paperwork. Anthony Pool, built in the 70s/80s, Hayward DE filter, 1 skimmer, 1 intake (?) at bottom of pool suspected... we can't see it, Taylor K-2006 arrives Monday now, Pool is ~36' l x 16' w x ~13' d (not positive on depth), Kidney-shaped, diving board, estimated 25,000 gallons?
LOVE ANY AND ALL COMMENTS/SUGGESTIONS/ADVICE. Love you guys!"

- - - Updated - - -

Theeeeerrreee it is! haha. Oh geez. Can you tell I'm new to pools AND new to forums? Thanks for your patience!

On my computer at least your pictures are coming up as broken links. :( I can see your avatar but none of the pictures you posted in the thread. Not sure which method you're using. I use photobucket. I upload the pictures there and use a link they put on the picture page to copy and paste here.

Be prepared to order some refills for your test kit (unless you got the "c" version which comes with larger bottles) the regular k-2006 will have small bottles of the stuff you use to test chlorine and you're going to be using a lot since you have a very green pool to clear up! That's just a heads up because no one wants you to be in the SLAM and run out of reagents!

I see above that you said you got new filter grids. Do you have DE on hand already? DE filters are really great for filtering but because they are so darn good they clog up fast so you'll be doing a lot of backwashing and adding new DE. Glad to see you have a recirculate feature because that will come in handy when you can't babysit the filter.

I love green to clean threads! I'm gonna hang out until you're sparkling and clear! :) Who am I kidding? I'll hang out after that too! lol

Welcome to TFP!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.