New Liner, left shop vac in too long now can't get it out!

seeclearly

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 13, 2011
WA state
Ok, I'm an idiot, but what do I do now?

We are putting in our first replacement liner. Had to get water delivered because our well is too slow. We weren't really sure when we were supposed to remove the shop vac hose from the skimmer opening, and now the pool is full and the shop vac is still in there.

We worked on it all afternoon today:

-Lifted top rail and plastic keepers off the skimmer section.
-Got all duct tape out of the system.
-Taped socks and things to broom handles to try to move out the water weight so we could pull the vacuum out.
-Taped a flat molded bungee hook (no sharp edges) to a flat folded metal bar in an attempt to hook the hose collar from down near the cove by pushing it through the flattened vacuum hose.
-Successfully detached the hose from the collar and pulled the hose out (we didn't really mean to do that yet, as it was the only attachment to the collar).
-Tried to make a water lock we could siphon water from to relieve the pressure on the liner wall where the collar is stuck. Couldn't get water lock.

It is a 25ml liner so pretty stout. However, the worst case scenario would be tearing or puncturing the liner and losing the water I just paid for.

Right now the liner is taped to a few of the broom handles to make sure it doesn't fall into the water and drain over the top. If we remove the broom handles we will never get them back down there because of the hose being removed.

It happens to be located just a foot away from the metal wall seam, but opening that, even a little at the bottom, gives me the willies because it is sharp. And how would I keep the heavy bubble of water from having its way and popping out through the relief in pressure?

So I humbly present a request for ideas.

Help!!

I have a feeling the answer is to drain the water so you can retrieve the hose collar. Can you post some pictures of the problem? That may help someone come up with an idea. If you dig under the liner will stretch to fill the void so even if you get the collar out that way, you won't be able to get the dirt back in and compact it without leaving a dip in the floor.

What about one of those flat air bags they use for lifting heavy appliances, etc with? They are only about 1/2" thick or less when deflated, but get to be about 4" when inflated. Put it between the liner and the wall, inflate a bit, and pull out the shop vac part. You could probably rent one at the local moving store, or large box store. Actually they even sell flat air bags for auto body shops, to inflate and push out body panels.

The auto body bags are $75 on Amazon -- not the most expensive pool gadget I guess, but hoping not to spend that. I will post a picture tomorrow of the liner with the rake handles stuck down the side. Can't really get a picture of the offending part as it is down at the bottom of the side wall under water.

Having to refill the water would be a big fail because it wasn't free water (at all). Maybe I could get a cheap pool on the internet, quickset type, and lower the water level a foot or two.

Update: found a local one on craigslist 12x30 for $45. That will take 2000 gallons out, or about a foot of water. That should help.

Ouch.... What an oopsie for sure. My vote would be to get another quick set pool for nearly free if you can and drain more. I'm so sorry it was forgotten in all the excitement!

The expensive thing about water trucks is the water truck itself, so it would be cheaper to go buy a 16' Coleman pool at Walmart for $250 - and they still have a few. We are looking to have a very hot summer so I'm pretty sure I could resell it and recoup a bit.

I've been making a lot of craigslist posts for pools but no bites yet.

Lowering the water level seems the best way. I have a big deck, so I was thinking of running the water to waste to fill up the auxiliary pool up on the deck. Then I can just siphon it back in since it will have a higher level. I will only take out water until I can get to the collar -- hopefully it won't be a full 16' pool...

Sigh. Thanks for your help and encouragement!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm still working on it. Got 2 temp pools, working on getting the water cleaned up a bit. Lots o' greenish brown crud came out of the return when I fired up the pump.

We got a thing from the hardware store that is for breaking plumbing clogs. It is 2 feet long and 2 inches in diameter, pumps up to 6 inches in diameter with a bike pump. Hopefully lowering the water level will allow me to get down there because this thing could work!

I also had to get Apollo-13 creative to figure out how to make a longer run for the pumps that come with the temp pools. Otherwise I will have pools of good water but no way to get it back in the pool! The dynamic is wrong for siphoning.

Update --

Got a temporary pool set up and mostly filled. Found out our heater has died and it blurped a lot of rust into the pool when I turned on the pump. We have a main drain, so I had turned it on to start getting the water up to speed. Anyway, the rust all settled and pretty much has been cleared by the pump. I've been superchlorinating according to instructions. Tomorrow the heater is going to be plumbed out of the system and removed, so I won't be losing so much water to it.

With the water out, I think I can get the collar out. I still need a way -- like a hand on a four-foot-long arm -- to reach down and grab it. I think I will be able to inflate the plumbing bladder which should help.

WP_20150720_010.jpg
WP_20150720_007.jpg

Thanks for all your ideas and encouragement. It has helped a lot!

I know the deck needs powerwashing etc, but we have had to conserve water to put in the pool for the time being.

Tape clogbuster to the blunt end of a broomstick, that should give you enough reach, although you may have to lay on your tummy on the deck. ;) Will your bike pump hose reach 4 feet to inflate the clogbuster though?

eta: looking back, I see you are familiar with many broomstick-like objects. :mrgreen:

Update! WE GOT IT OUT!!!

With the water level as it is in the picture, and the clogbuster inflated but not exactly right where you would want it, my daughter's long armed bf got in the pool, shoved it upwards from the outside and grabbed it from the inside. Someone with shorter arms couldn't have reached.

We had a pizza party on the deck to celebrate, and have now reassembled the entire pool. Hooray!

Thanks again for the moral support.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.