skimmer gasket show or not show

Tere

Bronze Supporter
May 30, 2015
Colorado Springs
Should the skimmer gasket be completely under the face plate or should the gasket show a bit? I can't get the butterfly gasket to cooperate. Either some shows or I can't get the gasket to stay under the face plate. Its a new gasket and a new skimmer on an old pool.

Have you trimmed the liner so it fits the gasket? In my case butterfly gasket did not fit well in the existing opening, I had to trim it a bit. The liner changed a bit over time.
As for show, if it fits well and does not wrinkle, it can show out a little, so what.

Check for pitting/bubbling on the outside surface of the pool, if there is some, brush/sand and maybe even use some silicon caulk.

Hi Morzh, I trimmed the liner to the exact skimmer hole, cut back the wall foam well.

My thought is either it should show evenly around or not at all. I reinstalled and it's still a bit off. I do have a spare gasket and will try that one.

No pitting of bubbling on metal but there is a wave in the metal wall. That doesn't seem the problem though.

photos below:

pool gasket 1_zpsyn8mw3x5.jpg Photo by Teresa_Lundquist | Photobucket

pool gasket 2_zpsd1hzmqtc.jpg Photo by Teresa_Lundquist | Photobucket

pool gasket 3_zps48fwurny.jpg Photo by Teresa_Lundquist | Photobucket

ok I thought I posted a hip hip hooray, not. Finding leaks but at the threaded connections. Tightened.

Big problem is getting the hayward pump cover to seat properly and close with no water coming out. I lubed the gasket then line it the screw things and close but I'm not sure if I need a hammer to knock the lid to full close. Maybe I should lube the little screw wings things?

Any ideas? on getting lid tight?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.