Green pool

Jul 16, 2015
Quincy,Indiana
My pool is green,but when I shock it, it turns a very pretty blue color. But it's very cloudy and you can't see the bottom. It's an above ground pool that was not closed properly last year. Vacuumed out lots of leaves, just can't get it clear. Turns green again in couple of days. Please help..

Hello and welcome,
As you will soon find out if you look around this site, ( and I recommend you check out POOL SCHOOL), the key to clearing up your pool is not an occasion shock.
What you will need to do is SLAM your pool. There are articles on how it's done in pool school.

The number one requirement to be able to SLAM, is a GOOD test kit. The two we recommend are the TF100 or the taylor K-2006. Without a good test kit, we AND you will not be able to see what your pool needs and how much.
Others will comment right behind me, if they haven't already posted ahead of me :).

Sooo... do some reading and get that test kit. Post your numbers when you get the kit and a multitude of very helpful folks will be here to help. Feel free to ask any questions you have.

Hello Granny and welcome to TFP! :) It sound like you have an algae bloom in full-swing there. That's due to insufficient chlorine based on another chemical factor (stabilizer). You would be best served to read this page to SLAM: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. Please note that unlike pool store terminology, the TFP SLAM is designed to last several days depending upon the condition of your water. Read this SLAM page carefully and you can succeed in clearing your water.

You would be advised to obtain either the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit from this site as well: TFTestkits.net. You CAN do the testing yourself quite easily and be guaranteed to get accurate results - something you will not always receive from the local stores. Read these link over and let us know if you have any questions. We're happy to assist. Have a nice evening.

Hi Granny!!!!!!!!! You have come to the right place to get and keep your pool clean and clear! We can help you do it!

Do you have any kind of test kit? To get your pool clean you will need get a good test kit. The ones we use and love at in my siggy.

Iknow the pool store will test for free but..........is it really free if you are asked to buy x,y, z at $$

HUGS!

Kim

Thanks so much, I have bought green to blue and put it in last night you can see the bottom now. And we have shocked and double shocked. Just hoping I can vacuum out the brown stuff on the bottom.Without stirring it up again..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As Texas Splash stated you have an algae outbreak and need to SLAM. The goal of the slam is to get your chlorine level up to slam levels AND KEEP it there until your pool is truly clean and clear. Shocking once and letting it sit lets the algae gain a stronger foothold. Keeping the levels up through out the slam is the only way to completely eliminate the problem. Another important part of the slam IS vacuuming and brushing the sides and bottom of your pool. You actually WANT to stir it up so the chlorine can get at it. If you keep it stirred up and keep the chlorine level up, it will get clearer everyday until it's sparkling clear. It takes a lot of elbow grease at first, but gets easier everyday :)

- - - Updated - - -

Again, you and I cannot tell what your levels are and should be without a proper set of test numbers

Granny, will you please call your pool store and see if they have the Taylor 2006 test kit (NOT the Taylor 2005). This will help you get and keep your pool clear. In the end it will cost a LOT less than you are spending now and last a lot longer.

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.