And here we go...!

Jul 16, 2015
Central NJ
[h=2]Hello, TFP![/h]
Hey guys! Been lurking in the corner here for a few weeks, but finally we got our new house and... it has a pool!

A pool wasn't a feature we were looking for, but we have it now and it's time to embrace it. It's in good shape, gets ALOT of direct sun, has minimal foliage around it to make it dirty, and has a seemingly overkill heater to go with it. No idea why one would install a heater on this pool since it bakes in the sun all day but, I'm not complaining... until I get a bill after using it I'm sure.

TFP has been assuring me it will go smoothly and now that we're moving in-- it's time to dive on it. No pun intended.

I loaded up my signature with the vitals I got on my pool. The liner is in decent shape, maybe I'll get a few years out of it. The previous owners took good care of the pool and it's in solid shape right now.

The previous owner would generally take water samples down the street to the pool supply shop, get advised on what to add, and would follow suit. I'd rather get a hold of what's going on and dial it in myself -- noone like a pool loaded with unnecessary chemicals unless needed. TFP seems to be a solid solution.

I've ordered my TF-100 kit and plan on doing a full test suite to get a baseline. The pool is (seemingly) in good shape right now.

No pool cleaner came with the pool, and after research I have a Poolvergnuegen x4 "ThePoolCleaner" en route to the house to get to work on the debris in the bottom.

I'll try hard to not ask the stupid questions - but I'll give fair warning, I've never managed a pool before.

Once I get my preliminary tests done (hopefully next week), I'll post my results and some of what I think I should be doing. I'd love critique!

Until then -- keep wet my friends.​

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing those first test results. And, congratulations on not starting with a green swamp, as so many new pool owners seem doomed to do.

Are you keeping some chlorine in the pool, while you figure out your next steps and wait for the test kit?

I think I just tried to respond to your duplicate thread, which disappeared -- that explains why the forum software complained about an 'invalid thread' when I tried to post.

as far as the heater goes, might not be oversized at all, they are pretty large. is it a heat pump or gas heater? where you live the heater is a great option, allows you to extend your swim season. you can get in the pool earlier in the year and keep it open longer. you wont need it during the summer. congrats on ordering the TF100

I know you said the pool is in good shape, how does the water look? sparkly clean or hazy?

Thanks guys -- yea I re-posted this to the "Introduce Yourself" section after the fact but... I guess we're squared away now. Sorry about that!

Let's see...
@singingpond - Yes, there is a floater with some chlorine tabs in there they put in on Sunday I'm assuming. I'm thinking this will hold until I get my kit in hand this weekend/early next week?

@DaninFLA - The water looks super clear to me. There are is some debris and leaves and such in the bottom since I haven't touched it since getting in there, but the water seems clear. I popped on the light at night the other night and it still looked clear to the eye.

Also - I compiled a ~50page "Hit List" of info from the Pool School section to review in the coming days. Someone should compile ALL of that info into a PDF to download and make easily readable offline to those who would benefit. If my compilation ends up useful, I can gladly upload it as a PDF as a "One Sheet" of sorts for people to get started offline with. Just a thought.

Allright! Baseline testing completed from the TF-100 kit (results below). Haven't really done the homework or research yet as to put together a full assessment of what this is telling me, but baseline data is acquired!

ThePoolCleaner - swapped out the tires on it for the vinyl ones and plan on getting that going this week sometime. Pool is still holding clear and looking good, but I think the pH needs some balancing perhaps?

TF-100 Results:
CL= 5
BR= 10
pH= <6.8 (just a hair under the 6.8 color)
FC= 4.5 (9 drops of R-0871 to clear)
CC= None (after 5 drops of R-0003)
CH= 225
TA= 20 (2 drops to red, 3 drops to bright pink)
CYA= 70

biggest issue you have is pH, you need to get that raised ASAP. go to pool math at top of page, input your pool volume at the top and then fill in your results on the left and put in 7.5 for pH on the right and it will tell you how much chemicals to add. should also raise your TA as well. put in 20 and put 50 as target. chemicals you need are available at walmart, etc.

your CYA is a bit on the high end but manageable. I would get your FC up to 8 with bleach. you are right below minimum value and too close to going below and causing an algae bloom.

You should remove the tablets from the floater, if you haven't already. The tabs will increase your CYA and you do not want to go any higher that you are right now. Use regular concentrated bleach. You can also use liquid chlorine if available in your area. Check the bleach/liquid chlorine date codes. I don't buy bleach over 30 days from the manufacturing date, because bleach loses strength over time, and degrades faster if stored at higher temperatures.

Bleach Date Code Decoder

Also review the Chlorine/CYA Chart in DaninFLA's signature.

So, let's see here... pool is 17k gallons roughly.

1) Get pH on track (Target 7.5). Existing value is 6.6 lets say. PoolMath would have me add 45oz (weight) of Soda Ash to get this in check?
2) Get TA to 50. Existing value of 20, PoolMath has me adding 120oz (weight) of standard issue baking soda?
3) Get FC to 8 to eliminate possible algae bloom. Existing value of 4.5. PoolMath has me adding 124oz of 6%, standard issue (preferably a recent date code) Clorox bleach?
4) Remove floater/existing chlorine tablets from pool to reduce possibility of raising the CYA. Easy enough.

Last time I worked on a pool (probably when I was 12), I remember the vats and buckets of specialized pool chemicals. I'm leary to just start throwing baking soda and bleach into my hole in the ground like its a science experiment, but I have faith in the internet and humanity.

Does my assessment above seem accurate given the circumstances? If so, I'll be adding bleach, soda ash, and baking soda this evening -- while removing the floater. And hopefully getting my poolcleaner going in the process.

You guys are super helpful -- thanks so much!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Those numbers look spot on to me.

My only recommendation would be to skip buying Clorox brand-name bleach. The generic will be fine. If you get Great Value concentrated bleach at Walmart, it is 8.25% concentration, and generally comes in 121-oz. jugs, not full gallon jugs (I have a story and strong opinion about that, but that's for another thread...). Just be sure to buy unscented bleach, and not the "EZ-Pour" or "Splashless" stuff.

I found using GV bleach saved me about $0.90 per jug. That adds up quickly -- it's like Buy-3-Get-1-Free vs. buying Clorox.

Look around when you find yourself in Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. Many places you wouldn't even think of carry pool chemicals. If they have "liquid shock," chances are it's 10% or 12.5% liquid chlorine (aka Bleach). It is usually cheaper to buy the stronger stuff, but keep in mind the stronger liquid chlorine loses its potency in heat and sunlight faster than lower-concentration liquid does.

Just as an example: My local Walmart sells GV Concentrated bleach for $2.50(ish) per 121-oz. jug. My local Atwood's (farm and ranch store) sells 10% "Liquid Shock" for $2.00 per gallon jug. Better value? Absolutely.

So, let's see here... pool is 17k gallons roughly.

1) Get pH on track (Target 7.5). Existing value is 6.6 lets say. PoolMath would have me add 45oz (weight) of Soda Ash to get this in check?
2) Get TA to 50. Existing value of 20, PoolMath has me adding 120oz (weight) of standard issue baking soda?
3) Get FC to 8 to eliminate possible algae bloom. Existing value of 4.5. PoolMath has me adding 124oz of 6%, standard issue (preferably a recent date code) Clorox bleach?
4) Remove floater/existing chlorine tablets from pool to reduce possibility of raising the CYA. Easy enough.

Last time I worked on a pool (probably when I was 12), I remember the vats and buckets of specialized pool chemicals. I'm leary to just start throwing baking soda and bleach into my hole in the ground like its a science experiment, but I have faith in the internet and humanity.

Does my assessment above seem accurate given the circumstances? If so, I'll be adding bleach, soda ash, and baking soda this evening -- while removing the floater. And hopefully getting my poolcleaner going in the process.

You guys are super helpful -- thanks so much!

for pH increase - I would go with the borax instead of soda ash. much easier to find and cheaper. they sell it at walmart, etc in the laundry section. don't assume 6.6. use 6.8 and go to 7.5. after you are done, you can always add more if needed. but really as long as you end up between 7.2 and 7.6 or so you should be ok. Pool math calls out for 59 oz of borax. each box is 4lbs I believe. (remember always easier to add more than remove it later)

TA increase - im coming up with 120 ounces as well of baking soda. getting your TA up some is going to help your pH stay up a bit.

for FC increase - if you buy store bleach, it should be 8.25%, not 6%. check the label and modify the pool math using 8.25%.

its funny that you think they common chemicals are odd, but you are used to all the specialized chemicals from the pool store. most of them are just what we are calling for, just its available at a big box store for 1/3 of the price and not labeled for pools. chlorine is bleach, exact same stuff, but different percent strength is all (pool store usually 10%, bleach 8.25%).

check the pool store label next time on Alkalinity Booster...hint...its baking soda :)

wait a half hour between adding each chemical

I would retest everything again in the morning and repost for any further tweaking, but you are going in the right direction

Here is a page or two that explains it pretty well. Plus it tells you how to add them.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/139-recommended-pool-chemicals

Most important thing is not to add them all at once. Add one of them then wait 30 mins to add the next. Pump should be running while you do this. Also, it's a good idea to run that particular test after the 30 mins to see if the addition had the desired effect.

Excellent Excellent.

Yea, I like the idea of standard items as opposed to rebraned "pool chemicals" -- I'm down.

I think there's a bit of Soda Ash left behind by the previous owner - so I'll take an inventory assessment and move forward accordingly on that front.

And I'll get the proper, unscented bleach and adjust %'s accordingly in poolmath.

I'm on the right track -- this is good stuff. I'll get to work tonight on it hopefully and report back with new findings.

good deal man. you are definitely on the right path. cool if you have soda ash. if not I think borax is like $3 at walmart for a 4lb box by the way. cheap. once you get your TA up some and stop with the pucks, your pH shouldn't drop that low again. the borax/baking soda is not a constant maintenance item. a higher TA along with aeration from the return jets should keep your pH up. if your pH keeps dropping, will need to add more TA, but just don't want to raise that too high until you learn how your pool responds.

yeah, didn't think he would have soda ash on hand. obviously if you have it on hand, that's cheaper than buying new stuff :)

agree on the values you have too man. I hadn't updated the TA first to get the new borax/ash. using his currnet numbers and goals, I agree:

30 oz of soda ash OR 59 oz borax to increase pH

120 oz of baking soda to increase TA

These guys have you taken care of! I just want to say welcome to the Forum! You've made an excellent decision. In my 12+ years of pool ownership, this has been my easiest year yet, since I converted to TFP!

Good luck and ENJOY your pool!

WOW you are a fast learner! SO nice to see!

You say there is a pool up the road. Do they sell liquid chlorine? You would have to put a deposit on their jugs but less waste in the end. Most pool store's chlorine is 11% so make sure to do the math to see what YOUR best price is and how easy it to get to.

I get 4 jugs (2.5 gals each jug). That lasts me about 12 days. Depends on the weather and bather load.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.