Charleston, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-3)
I have done two SLAMs one just ending last Saturday. The first one occurred because my flow sensor on my SWG had to be replaced. The second one occurred a week and a half later and I have no reason why that would have happened as I maintain my pool like most of you religiously. Both SLAMs ended with all three criteria being met. My pool has not been as sparkly since I had to do the initial SLAM.

I raised FC last night to 10.5 to do an OCLT and failed this morning with a morning test of FC 8.5 and CC 0.

Current #s

FC 8.5
CC 0
PH 7.4
CH 250
TA 70
CYA 70
Borates 50

During the second SLAM, I did find algae in my pool light and under the rungs of the deep end ladder. I checked both places this morning and they are algae free.

Any ideas? I suppose I will start another SLAM this afternoon when I get back home unless someone has any insight.

well I guess it should be a pretty quick SLAM...my salt cell went bad a couple of weeks ago and didn't catch it till my FC went to zero. I did a SLAM and only took two days/nights and was done.

What do you maintain your FC levels at normally?

I normally maintain them between 6 and 7. My last SLAM was only one day as it cleared and passed the OCLT test the next morning. I just don't want to get into this cycle if there is something more going on.

yeah, 6 is above the minimum, so not sure why it would allow algae, unless your CYA is a bit higher than you thought and FC is dropping early in the day before your SWCG is running. are you testing 6 at the end of the day, after the SWCG has finished?? if so, that means your FC was probably down to around 4 and it brought it up. that constant drop down to minimum, or slightly minimum could be enough to get some algae going and then the FC level of 5-6 wasn't enough to overcome the growth rate.

personally when I did my SLAM, I passed the OCLT and kept it at SLAM level one additional date and then re-confirmed OCLT again. I lost 0.5ppm instead of 1ppm. one extra day wont hurt you.

also, I keep my FC a bit higher now. I have same CYA as you do and I keep my FC at 8-9. I check in the evening after its done, so that's the max (9) and figure I drop to 7 at parts of the day. gives a bit more buffer I think. still cant detect chlorine or anything when I swim and no stingy eyes, etc.

might be some thing to think about.

I usually test in the evening and the FC is usually around 8-9. My pool is in sun from 9:00 AM until 6:00 PM. I occasionally test int he morning just to make sure and it is never below 6 in the morning prior to the SWG coming on from 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.