Opinions on tile/plaster/coping selection?

lvrpl

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2015
Dallas, TX
Was hoping to get some opinions on the choices we're making for our remodel. Here's a couple of pictures of the pool (sorry, I know they're not great, - I'll try to get a better one but this should give you a sense).

pool.jpg

PoolBIG.jpg

We're doing a basic plaster (no quartz, etc), so we're planning to go with a white. We're replacing the coping (currently red bullnose brick) with flagstone. We're thinking of the tile below (also found at http://nobletile.com/celtic-castle/ - we'd be doing the Kilkea Blue).

Kilkea2.jpg

What do you think of the color combination? My wife is having second thoughts about the blue tile because she doesn't want it to look too much like a public pool, but I don't think that's an issue.

Also, if we're not going to do a quartz or pebble plaster, we should avoid adding color and just go with white, correct? Thanks for any thoughts or feedback!

Personally I like a tan tile as to let the water be the pop of color. That said check out Crystal Lake by noble tile, it was my second choice.
If not doing Quartz or pebble I would definitely stick with white plaster. I have read and heard a lot about color plaster molting.

Well I LOVE, LOVE,LOVE you waterline tile pick. I like the pop of blue. With you going with white plaster it will set the whole pool off!

I agree with Amanda on the plaster. I have heard of way too many colored plaster molting!

Kim

All I can add is what we're doing (demo started today)

Florida Stucco white cement with extra bags of blue quartz for the pool, and Hawaiian blue for the spa
Antique Blend travertine 6x12 coping
6x6 rust/natural water line tile for pool
Artic Ocean blue 1x1 glass for the spa face, spa spillway, spa waterline. We're actually cutting down the spillway to make the whole face an 'infinity' type spillway

Our idea is to make the spa 'pop', and make the pool classic, without the eye candy.

All I can add is what we're doing (demo started today)

Florida Stucco white cement with extra bags of blue quartz for the pool, and Hawaiian blue for the spa
Antique Blend travertine 6x12 coping
6x6 rust/natural water line tile for pool
Artic Ocean blue 1x1 glass for the spa face, spa spillway, spa waterline. We're actually cutting down the spillway to make the whole face an 'infinity' type spillway

Our idea is to make the spa 'pop', and make the pool classic, without the eye candy.

Sounds really unique, be sure to post pictures!

I really like the Kilkea blue color. However, IF your wife is really concerned about the public pool look, the Windsor Grey is a softer blue, with quite a bit of grey that would probably blend beautifully with the flagstone, giving a softer more natural look.

I really like the Kilkea blue color. However, IF your wife is really concerned about the public pool look, the Windsor Grey is a softer blue, with quite a bit of grey that would probably blend beautifully with the flagstone, giving a softer more natural look.

Helpful, thanks - so if the worry about the public pool look were minor, you'd go for the Kilkea it sounds like?

It really depends on what you want the "look" to be. I think the kilkea tiles is a gorgeous blue and will really make the pool pop. Personnally, I think that tile has too much depth and dynamic to look "public pool". With the flagstone coping, absolutely does not say public pool to me. Also, I see red cushions on your furniture outside, which tells me "Pop" is good. So, with that in mind, yes, I would say the Kilkea tiles. My personal taste is more of a natural look, so I would probably go with the windsor blue for my pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.