Metal stain - suggestions please

Feb 27, 2015
Grand Rapids MI
About a month ago I posted some pictures on here thinking I had algae on my vinyl pool liner. Through some great help we discovered it is a metal stain as the stain is removed when placing a Vitamin C tablet on it. The stain covers roughly 40% of the pool liner on the floor (roughly 20ft by 40ft IGP). My question now is what will be the best way to remove this. I have looked into Natural Chemistry's Stain Free Ascorbic Acid treatment but I was wondering if I have some different options. Has anyone use Natural Chemistry's Stain Free before? Has anyone use a different method to treat for this?

I thought about crushing my bottle of Vitamin C tablets into a sock (cotten or nylon) and then attaching to a pole and rubbing the stains off. But where will the residue go, will it just move somewhere else once it settles and the stain will reappear? This is also labor intensive but might not be too bad over a few nights as the stain seemed to remove pretty quickly once I placed the tablet on it.

I believe the original source of the stain was from the pool company when they opened the pool for the season. They put in an algaecide. Is this necessary when opening a pool for the season? Should I ask them not to next season?

Hi janderson,
an ascorbic acid treadment will remove the stains from the pool surface.
what happens to it, is that it goes into solution into the water. If you dont do something about it, then it will stain the pool again.

Step 2 of the process, is to add a metal sequestrant to the water. The metal solution binds up the metal and prevents it from going back into solution for a short period of time.
Step 3, Option 1, is to use a product called Culator (pronounced See you later), its a product which claims to remove the sequestered metal from the water. Please note that there are reports that the Culator did not work.

Option 2 , if the metal is not removed, then a metal sequestrant will become part of your standard pool maintance, and will require replenishing every couple of weeks so the metals do not go back into solution and stain teh surface again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.