Filter problems

MirGSS

Jun 3, 2015
Okemos MI
So. We FINALLY GOT OUR POOL CLEAR ENOUGH TO SEE THE BOTTOM!! YESSSSSS

Now we are having filter problems.

1. Water drips out the waste line when filter is on (turned to filter).
2. Sand comes out when backwashing (not sure if it is a significant amount though).
3. Sand is returned back into the pool when filter is on (turned to filter). Quite a lot of sand. Along with other debris. And I am sick of vacuuming to waste every time the bottom gets crud on it.

I checked the spider gasket (was replaced by pool company earlier this year) and it seems to be intact. I rinsed it off and tried to get all the little specks of sand off the area where it sits. I wasn't able to get ALL of it, but I got most.

I also did a deep clean of the filter using the hose method.

Is my next step to scoop out all the sand to check the laterals/standpipe?

1) That's the multiport valve, probably the spider gasket. When the waste port is shut off, it shouldn't leak anything, period.
2) A little sand out the waste pipe when backwashing is probably not a big deal. You're stirring up that sand pretty vigorously and it isn't being strained out by the laterals.
3) Do you rinse after backwashing? All the crud you stirred up during backwashing is still on the "clean" side of things. Rinse send it to the dirty side and out the waste pipe. Then you switch to filter. If it still blows debris out after a rinse, then there is likely a crack or an unseated lateral inside the filter.

Yup, always rinse after backwashing. The amount returned is, to me, significant. And I feel like sometimes larger debris is returned (particularly when vacuuming on the filter setting).

If the waste pipe leaking ISN'T the spider gasket, is there another thing I can try? I swear the gasket is brand new. I didn't see any scratches, cracks, etc when I took it apart last time. What about using adhesive/lubricant? I've seen pro and con on this topic.

Welp, I went ahead and tore apart my filter. Is there an easy way to do this? Or do I have to just saw through the existing pipe and glue on a new pipe?
d9460f50bdc32e5cc4d9cc65ec654f3f.jpg
5eb6022fd9e1c303dd211469b9709a5f.jpg

Pardon typos; sheep have hooves, not hands.

Okay, if I go the total replacement route*, is there an easy way to remove the top of the standpipe from the valve?

*This makes sense to me, as it looks like there is a newer style of lateral assembly (mine currently does not fold; I have to unscrew each lateral). That being said, the laterals seem functional. I wonder if I can get the older(?) assembly somewhere and use the laterals I already have?

Okay, sooooooooo I purchased a new lateral/standpipe assembly from Amazon; it will be here Monday. In the meantime, if you look in post #4, it seems the top of the standpipe has been glued/otherwise adhered to the valve. Is there anything I can do about this? Any tool or adhesive dissolver or something? I don't see anywhere I can get the top of the standpipe out without wrecking everything. Otherwise, I mean...do I have to get a whole new valve? This is kind of ridiculous. Does everyone use adhesive to attach their standpipe to their valve?

Also still outstanding is my question about sand coming out the waste line (item 1). The spider gasket and o-ring appear fine. Is there anything else I can check or should I do a nice rinse of the valve and use some kind of lubricant/adhesive?

It shouldn't be glued, not with pipe cement anyway. It may be stuck with gunk. There's an O-ring in there, most likely, and it could have stuck.

I'd clamp some vise grips on the stump and try wiggling it side to side and tug on it occasionally and see if it will break free. Worst case, you just keep snapping off pieces. If that starts happening, try to get the stump to split longitudinally so you can then twist it loose.

Lots of pool lube on any O-rings when you reassemble.

First things first, as far as my Hayward S180T goes, there is no glueing.
I am not sure as yours looks a bit different but glueing does not make sense as, having done that, you won't be able to ever take the filter apart without killing it fitst, which is what has happened so far.

If they glued it, well, you could try to gently tap with a piece of wood on the piece that needs removal, see if it loosens up, you could try to do the same while heating it with heatgun (gently, not to heat the piece that is a part of the balve assy, you coud start chipping it away with pliers (gently) so again not to ruin the piece it goes to.
Depends on what they used for the glue and how well they glued it.

Sometimes squishing the to be removed piece with big pliers helps, it can separate it from the outer piece, and then try it from another angle, or if you are successful in separating part of it, then twisting it might tear it from the outer piece....

You will have to experiment.
And I would not use solvents as Gosh knows where they will get and what they will damage.
Heat and force.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.