Thinking of changing from DE filter to Cartridge. Your thoughts?

Jun 27, 2015
None nd
I have a ec75a Hayward pump and filter setup. This Hayward is junk from my experience so far. From what I can tell cartridge filters seem to be the way to go for any new pools. Can you guys tell me why I should or should not do this, and if I should, which filter should I get for a 25,000gal pool?

Thanks for your time.

Not sure on the size, but mine is 100sqft, for 7,000 gallons, and was told it was oversized (which is fine by me). Oversized is the way to go, less cleaning intervals. Cleaning a cartridge is super easy, I do it once a year, when I close the pool in October. Only draw back to a cartridge is, there is no vacuum to waste function or "easy" drain function if you get a ton of rain. For your sized pool, my guess would would be 400sqft cartridge system. I'm sure an expert in sizing will chime in soon.

All the different types of filters have their plus and minus. Really what it comes down to, is your preference for maintenance.
Sand requires backwashing periodically and probably a deep cleaning every couple or 3 years.

Cartridge filters do not require backwashing, but you have to take the filters out and hose them down when they get too dirty. Another downside is if you get algae, you may have to clean filters several times a day. The filter stuff REALLY well. Another downside, is you will have to eventually replace the cartridges after some years. You can expect a set to range from 200 to 300, depending on how large the cartridges are.

DE Filters also filter REALLY well and so may need backwashing and DE replacement often, as well as grid cleaning.
The larger the DE Filter you have, the better as you get a longer period of time between cleaning

I have Cartridge and I like it really well. As for size, when it comes to cartridge filters, get the biggest one you can afford. The bigger they are, the less often you will have to clean them. FOr your size pool, I would recommend at a very minimum, 320 sq ft,If you can afford bigger, then you will be glad you did.

I have a ec75a Hayward pump and filter setup. This Hayward is junk from my experience so far. From what I can tell cartridge filters seem to be the way to go for any new pools. Can you guys tell me why I should or should not do this, and if I should, which filter should I get for a 25,000gal pool?

Thanks for your time.

The fact that since day 1 of buying this house, it keeps getting clogged and won't let the pump run longer than 24 hours, even after giving it an acid bath and VERY complete disassembling (even taking the rods out of the tubes) and spraying down individually.

The replacement tube nest for this thing costs $100 more than buying the complete filter already put together with tubes.

Any particular brand in cartridge filters that are better than others?

How are you chlorinating your pool now? I read your other post:
Help Hayward stops pumping. Air building up

Did you ever perform the SLAM? Have you switched to TFP methods?

Your filter may be clogging because the pool is often on the verge of an algae outbreak and you just don't see it in the water yet. It may be clogging due to lots of dead algae even if your water is clear.

Since switching to TFP my DE filter requires much less backwashing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.