Got my kit & weirded out by my numbers

Jun 11, 2015
O'Fallon, MO
Hello All,

I posted yesterday about adding bleach & CYA until I got my TF100 kit. It arrived so I tested it. Yesterday I added about 60 oz of 10 % bleach plus the amount of CYA pool math stated-don't remember how much but it was alot-close to 8 cups. The first sock dissolved well but the second didn't fit in the skimmer so I hung it by the jet. It still hasn't all the way dissolved. Anyway, here are my numbers:

FC, 0, yes, that's right, a big fat 0
pH, 8.2
TA, 240 I think, it turned pink at 24 & got slightly darker as I kept adding to 30 drops.
CH, 225, again that's when it turned but it's more purple than blue. I added a couple of more drops & it was just slightly darker.
CYA, i'm guessing 15 as I was still seeing the dot with the tube completely full. It was cloudy & starting to diminish so that's my best guess.

These numbers seem really strange to me but then again what do I know about this so far, LOL! i did not do the Chlorine Drop test since it registered 0 on the FC. The CYA sock is still hanging in there, but has dissolved enough I could probably put it in the skimmer, but I'm not sure what to do. I'm not real sure about using the pool math tool just yet also, so I would love it if someone can give me thoughts & then I can play around with it making sure I'm getting the right values. On a good note, the pool is clear, the slimy bottom was gone, & there was a bit of remaining green on the sides walls. I brushed that today & have had the pump going all day. Remember, the pool had about 14 " of rainwater in it plus it took me about 3 days to fill since I didn't go full bore with our well water not having the highest pressure-still needed some house water!! Thanks again everyone.

You still need to do the five drop test to determine if you have any CC which would contribute to why your FC is zero after adding bleach. The chlorine is killing something to be at zero along with UV loss...CC will indicate how much of the chlorine has binded to organic matter.

CYA results may take up to a week to show so just assume your CYA is at the level you added and keep your FC at the appropriate level for that CYA. Bottom line you need to add bleach and pronto.

Lastly if you already have algae growing did you bring your FC to SLAM levels? I'm guessing not as the first step is to lower your pH to 7.2 and it's 8+.

Congrats on the new test kit!

CH is not important in a vinyl pool, as long as it isn't way high.
TA can be worked on later.
CYA, good that you are adding some.

It is very important to maintain chlorine at target level for your CYA at all times based on the Chlorine CYA Chart. It is even more important to never let it drop below minimum or your pool will be unsanitary and algae will grow. Assume that whatever CYA level you added is in the pool and set your chlorine level accordingly.

It is also important to keep PH between 7.2 and 7.8. With your TA being high your PH will tend to rise so keep an eye on it. When it gets to 7.8 add muriatic acid to lower it to 7.2. Doing this will slowly lower your TA or you can lower it more aggressively by following this process, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity.

Here is more info on Pool School - PoolMath

Use muriatic acid and pour it in slowly, in front of the return with the pump running. Do not try to bring the Alk and Ph down in one dose. Do it in intervals. Let the Pool Math decide what you need and gradually bring it down in doses. Add some, let it mix for an hour or so, test and see if you need more,then add it again, test, etc... The Alk will come down with acid, but concentrate on the Ph numbers first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.