Getting rid of copper in pool

Jul 15, 2015
Garland/TX
Hi,

I've been lurking here and have found this very useful. I've got my chemicals mostly balanced - still having a little problem with chlorine, but I'm working on it. A few days ago however we got brilliant and added an algaecide to the pool (purchased at Sam's) because we had growing algae. I know, I know. Anyway, the algaecide killed the algae - so now the pool is bright, crystal clear... emerald green. The water went green. There's no algae, but this green color.

I've read enough to suspect this is copper. So my question, which I can't seem to find anywhere - how do you get rid of copper from the pool? (BTW I added chlorine the day after we added algaecide, as chlorine levels were low.)

I know, not a lot to go on, but is this a "wait until it filters out" (don't think so), "drain the pool" (hope not), or "add _X_ chemical [sequestrant? chleating? dumb here] and vacuum" (hope so!)

Thanks for any help.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Well, the bad news is you can't get rid of it unless you drain and refill the pool. You can treat it with a good sequestrant, but you will need to continue to add sequestrant weekly until the water is changed out.

Algaecide is really a preventative, not a cure. Kind of like a weak vaccine. Copper based algaecide works at killing algae, but it this case the "cure" is worse than the "disease". Untreated the water will remain green and will stain the pool surface over time. If you are ever again tempted to add pool store chemicals to the pool be sure and read the label for active ingredients first. You should only use polyquat 60 based algaecide, and then only as a preventative like when you close the pool for the winter.

This is one of the few times we will ask for a pool store test. Have them test for copper and report the result here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.