Earth or Sand filter

They each have their pros and cons. The Diatomaceous Earth (DE) filter is supposed to filter finer material than a sand filter, but it requires adding DE after each backwash and it requires a complete teardown once a year. It also clogs a lot quicker and requires a lot more cleaning if opening a green pool. A sand filter is the easiest to maintain, but wastes a good bit of water when you have to backwash.

Having said that, lots of people here have sand filters (myself included) and their water is perfectly clear and very sparkly. Besides, you can add a cup of DE to a sand filter if you wish.

Personally, if something ever happens to my sand filter where I have to replace it, I'm going with a 200 sqft cartridge filter.

I have a sand filter and love it. I get enough rain in Florida that I do not have to raise the level after backwashing. I typically use backwashing to drop the level in the pool. My sand filter just works with minimal attention from me. It is my longest lasting Intex equipment.

All three types of filter have their advantages and disadvantages. There is no best type. It depends on your situation and what your priorities are.... Fine filtration, easy maintainence, less water wasted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.