Type of Chlorine to use for SLAM

Sabot

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
I understand that liquid chlorine is the best but what would be the 2'nd, 3'rd choices to use? Since my bulk chlorine supplier is out of business, I am wondering what the next few options are. Reading up on some older posts, I am leaning towards Lithium Hypo. I have really hard water and I don't want to add calcium. As an example, I see Leslie's has a bucket of 24 packs for $130.

"Lithium Hypochlorite provides 35% available chlorine. Lithium does not cloud water, and it does not build up to cause scale. It is very fast dissolving. It can be added directly to any pool including vinyl-liner, fiberglass, painted or colored-plastered pools. Comes in 24, 1-lb. packages."

Crystal 14470 Shock Lithium Hypochloride, 24 Pack

I know Atwood's (and maybe even Tractor Supply) has pool chemicals -- and I'm talking 10% bleach for 2/3 the price of 8.25% at Walmart. Are there any "farm & ranch" stores nearby you could check out?

If all else fails, Great Value bleach from Walmart worked fine for my SLAM. It just took more of it...

Honestly, all the common dry chlorines are going to raise CYA or calcium. There is mono-sodium persulfate (MSP) but I don't know if the cost will be any better. Other than a complete water change, liquid chlorine is the only cost effective way to slam the pool. Everything else is going to raise CH or CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.