Rotted Bottom Track --- NEW POOL?

Jul 8, 2014
Madison/CT
We have been home owners for 2 years. Pool was put in 1998. Pool was inspected prior to move in. Pool is surrounded by a huge and wonderful decking system. We noticed this year that two walls have moved and are out of plum. The top is starting to go towards the water slightly on two sections of the oval pool. We had a very harsh winter and thought ice might have gotten in between the pool decking and pool railings causing pressure???

Had a pool company (Aquatics) come and look at it today. I was not home when he got here but his comments are concerning and alarming. NEW POOL!!

He suggested speaking to someone else because he was not the right person for the job because he doesnt deal with pools that would fit our footprint/need (more on that below) the pool is surrounded with decking. The process would not be cheap cause it would be more labor intensive due to the decking. He guessed about $10K.

The Good: walls are in good condition and not bowing, upright supports excellent condition, filtration totally fine and working well.

The BAD: rotting bottom track or missing track. He said the only thing holding up the pool (in his opinion) was the top rails. He would not swim it. He would look to drain it as soon as possible so it did not become a liability. THAT's frightening!

Other comments:

1. The bottom track has rotted away and is missing in certain areas causing the issue with the walls.
2. The bottom floor in that area: the linear has started to depress. Note: we had a hole form in the area that we fixed that was the size of an eraser head on a pencil.
3. we have a flat plate pool. Loop lock cover. Dimension in the signature below.
4. He noticed some other movements under the decking suggesting the harsh winter and freeze/thawing played a role and said we were lucky it didn't blow out during this winter.
5. He said he would be very careful even vacuuming in and around the area in question because if the linear hits the rotted track metal or other sharp objects it will blow.
6. He really didn't think the pool was fixable. He said certainly when it was drained we could determine that but he suspected we might uncover other problems (such as pitting on the walls?).

I didn't want to do too much disturbing but I can see where the tracking is crumbled verses where it is whole on the sections in question.

Questions:
Does this seem reasonable?
Can you fix bottom tracks with pools filled? Can bottom tracks be replaced after pool is drained?
Should I be draining the pool immediately?
What is a flat plate pool? Is this good? Do we replace with the same thing? Can it be replaced with another type?
What questions should I be asking of someone looking at it for another opinion?

Unfortunately we may not be in a position to replace the pool at a $10K price tag....we weren't really looking for a house with a pool but have enjoyed it. It doesn't get a ton of use. We only have one teen at home for 2 more years and another in college....ugghhh, just when I started figuring out this stuff!

Thank you,
Lisa

When I look up pools online they don't seem so expensive. What am I missing? What would be the cost for a
AG 18x32 pool. 54 inches. Descent but not top of line. Including the liner. We are handy people. We could take the pool down. We could even prep and level things. We could modify the decking to some extent which may give us some additional leverage with brands...obviously would like to use the cover (loops built into the deck) and of course footings under the deck can't be moved.

Thank you!

Photos: top showing gap. It was closer gap last yr. Underneath. Then the bad wall which shows the wall separated from the track completely and the track rotted in a section. The other wall I took a picture of but it wasn't great...that wall is not as bad because the wall is in the track but there is a 6in section rotted. I'm doing this on my phone so its hard to see but I don't think the photo captured the upright metal pool post between the two sections. It is no longer attached to the walls!

Some if the trackings not easily accessible because it is buried more on one side due to the slope of the yard.

We feel it needs to be drained, it's a hazard waiting to happen, and I am not sure if it can savalaged, fixed, and then get a new liner?? In my signature I have the manufacture info (jw pool). It's part of delair group,distributed and installed by namco, who stopped making pools in 2006. Teddy bear pools of MA has replacement parts. Of course we have a 40 yr warrenty (depreciating type) but not sure what good it does us.

IMG_20150716_151055832.jpg
IMG_20150716_151200429.jpg
IMG_20150716_151226602.jpg

Photos: top showing gap. It was closer gap last yr. Underneath. Then the bad wall which shows the wall separated from the track completely and the track rotted in a section. The other wall I took a picture of but it wasn't great...that wall is not as bad because the wall is in the track but there is a 6in section rotted. I'm doing this on my phone so its hard to see but I don't think the photo captured the upright metal pool post between the two sections. It is no longer attached to the walls!

Some if the trackings not easily accessible because it is buried more on one side due to the slope of the yard.

We feel it needs to be drained, it's a hazard waiting to happen, and I am not sure if it can savalaged, fixed, and then get a new liner?? In my signature I have the manufacture info (jw pool). It's part of delair group,distributed and installed by namco, who stopped making pools in 2006. Teddy bear pools of MA has replacement parts. Of course we have a 40 yr warrenty (depreciating type) but not sure what good it does us.

View attachment 40018
View attachment 40019
View attachment 40020

You can not replace the track without taking the whole pool down. Just from the pics you've posted, the pool wall looks to be in pretty good shape IMO. If you could buy a new track for the bottom and take the pool down and do a reinstall, you could fix it. Lot of work? YES! Can it be done? YES! You may have to take some of the deck apart and dig out the side of the pool that's in the ground on the slope side.

Thank you both for your comments. I spoke to the referral the original guy said to call. He said from what I described we should probably drain the pool and look behind the liner to see what parts might be needed. He needs to stop by and see the pool and structure, and let us know how far to drain it since there is more fill on one side. At that point we can determine if it is possible to get what we need... the manufacture is out of the pool business. Teddy bear pools in MA is the only known resource for parts for a johnny weissmuller. Other manufactures parts will not work. So hopefully it's not to bad and we can get the parts. Fingers crossed!!

I will update when I know more. We are not draining till after this new guy sees the pool and we come up with a game plan.

Just realized there were 3 responses. So thank you again. And the plan is to drain to look behind the liner and determine parts. I don't think that was clear. Sorry for the double post...using my phone makes it challenging to see, type and post. Love this website! Always great advise.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Howdy TriGirl from your direct neighbor to the West---Go Indians ;-). You have everything in place--level ground (dug out), filter, awesome deck. Instead of replacing parts for the old pool, I would drain and install a new pool/liner. If you are handy and purchase online it should not be a big ordeal and not cost you an arm and a leg like Aquatic suggested. Just try to get one as close to your current specs (especially the curvature of the top rails). Ground Prep, building deck is the biggest PITA with an AGP install IMO. Best of luck.

Thank you all for your comments. We are moving forward to restore the pool. The pool is empty. All the walls are in excellent condition. The tracking was only effected two pieces. We believe the leak that sprung recently in the liner contributed to the issue --- it was probably a pin hole and eroded things. We can get the parts we need ..so happy about that. Parts are maybe a $100 for replacing all the clips, two pieces of tracking and a few other miscellinious pieces. We are replacing the liner -- its a special liner that is beaded so of course they are more money then average. My shopping verses the pool company revealed a small savings but not a huge one. Significantly cheaper option then a pool replacement with an identical footprint at $10-11k! We are taking the time to add a few things like gorilla padding on the floor and foam to the walls for added protection. The pool company here would have charged us $700 for a liner install which seems to be the going rate for an oval pool of our size. We are letting them do all the work...bring in some sand to relevel the culprit side, foam padding , liner, etc because they are only charging material costs and minor upcharge for labor to do all the work. It was, I thought, reasonable and I know it will be done right. Haven't ever started from scratch so I am sure I will have more questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.