Radioactive nightmare..

Jun 9, 2015
baytown tx
My pool has turned into something from science fiction. A portal for something foreign to into another dimension. I returned from out of town late last night and check the pool this morning and found this nightmare. My husband *claims* he tended the pool as i asked. Trying to give the benefit of the doubt but when you see this thing you will wonder as well. I have a cheapo test kit while Im waiting to get fancier one. My question for now is do I turn the pump off and let it rest while I hem up my toddler to take readings or just let it run? Attaching a pic as soon as I figure out how. Puhleaaase help meh!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok i attached pic but I'm not seeing it so someone let me know if you can see it? Said it was being stored?

ewww...pretty!

turn your pump back on and get bleach in there asap. do you have one of the recommended test kits? how have you been chlorinating?? check your pH first.

the solution is easy, you are going to have to SLAM your pool. go and read up on it in pool school. since your pool is only 4,000 gallons, you can drain most the water and refill. you will still need to SLAM though to get the remaining algae, but it would go quicker.

you will need one of the test kits to SLAM

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Dan! I have a kit that will work while I'm waiting for the fancy test kit. Turn the pump on without a filter? I am getting numbers now. Which are the main ones you need? I just have a 6 way tester for the current moment.

- - - Updated - - -

your test kit wont work for the SLAM, read up on it. if you have the 6 way tester you cant get FC (free chlorine), let alone levels above 5 which are required. you also have to know your CYA, and those are not accurate tests.

honestly for 4,000 gallon pool I think the best course of action would be to drain the pool, scrub, and refill. and then do a mini SLAM to get anything left behind. for that amount of water, it might be cheaper anyway. how much you pay for water per 1,000 gallons??

I would do that, order your test kit (would be there in 2 days) and re-start based on the TFT methods for doing the pool.

which "fancy" test kit did you order??

EDIT: if your pool is 4 feet deep of water, that works out to 5,200 gallons by the way.

The 6-way test is all I every use, but you cannot properly follow the SLAM process. It may sound hypocritical when I say people should get the good test kit but I do for most people because they will get more assistance. People here that help others prefer the precise, methodical approach that TFPC offers because it takes out the guessing and it always works. In pools under 5K gallons, I don't think the recommended test kits are a good value, however, you have to put a price on how much more help you get when you have a better kit.

For now, give us the test numbers from your 6-way kit.

Last edited:
Ok I will turn it back on. With or without filter? I am also getting numbers but only have 6 way test kit at this minute. Just needing to know how much bleach. Read pool math link and almost passed out. This is Greek to me!

- - - Updated - - -

I have been putting in 1" chlorine tabs into skimmer basket but when I went out of town I put them in a floater. I have had a sparkly clear pool until now. From following other posts, I have maintained it until this. Had cya in it and the levels were all good.

Why do I have The Ghostbusters theme song in my head....

Listen to the advice here and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, welcome to TFP! Before we hang hubby out to dry we need to know what you were using to chlorinate your pool. You can run the pump without the filter in place if there is no debris floating in the pool so you can mix the bleach into the water. It won't be filtering anything but it will allow you to get some circulation going. Do you have a 6 way strip or a 6 way drop kit? A 6 way drop kit will let you run a test or two to get you started until your new kit comes. Right now the two most important numbers are your CYA/stabilizer and your FC (free chlorine). Once you post some test numbers we can explain how to use the poolmath page.

This thread needs more:
left.gif

::epds::

Brandy you poor thing :( Hugs and a shoulder to cry on for what you came home to.

Dear you just need to drain that pool and start over. It is going to take longer and LOTS more money to overcome that glowing green swamp. It is kind of pretty though LOL

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.