Looking to verify my thoughts on cya / fc

May 15, 2015
austin/texas
Hello all,

Thanks to this site I think I now have a good understanding of my pool. I say "I think" because just when I think I've fully grappled it I learn something new here.

Anyway, want I want to verify:

1) As I live in hot/sunny Austin, Tx and my pool gets 8+ hours of direct sun I'm thinking that I want to raise CYA to 60 (and toying with the idea of even 70-80). The result being a minimum FC loss over 24 hrs.

2) My understanding is that FC level above the top range for a given CYA level is burned off more quickly, correct?

I understand that normal FC loss is going to be ~3ppm / day in the summer unless I get a cover (I'm seeing good justification for it).

Thanks in advance!

p.s. - latest pool readings
FC 4.0 (just added 8.25% bleach this AM to get it to this #)
CC 0
pH 7.5
CH 140
CYA ~30. I'm going to raise this today
TA 70

Looks like you're doing great learning about your pool. I'd stop at 60 CYA and see how that works out for now, it's easier to add more later. I would also recommend adjusting FC in the evening so the chlorine is higher for a longer time because the sun isn't killing it off.

Yes,
your thoughts are right on target for both points. I would agree with DanielP, to first target 60 and see how that suits you. It might be just fine.
TFP goal is to help folks Understand what is happening and why. I see no problem with you proceeding as your plan lays it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.