LifeTime Supporter
Oct 4, 2014
Villa Park, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
It all started with a leak. My 20+ year old pump, on its second 1-speed 2HP motor, had a hair-line crack in the wet end that sent a jet into the adjacent spa pump’s motor killing it. So I started to look for a replacement VS pump as we live in the land of 31 cent kilowatt hours.

I’d used a “splash & dash” (pucks and vacuum) pool service for years and every summer had constant yellow algae. Mr. Pool Guy always had the same explanation – we had too many trees and didn’t run the pump enough. 12 hours minimum in the summer was his demand. His advice about VS pumps was they were OK, but it wouldn’t solve any of my problems.

My searches for pump info ultimately brought me to TFP and boy am I glad. I got a real test kit and discovered my CYA was 300+. My light gray plaster was stained green from all the Cu algaecide PG used. It was apparent we needed a 100% refill & acid wash but I’m in SoCal and a drought. I hoped for rain but it didn’t happen. In July ’14 I replaced the pump, got a suction cleaner and worked on the algae. I kept FC 10 and Phosphates <50 PPB and the yellow algae was in check, but we didn’t use the pool. I fired Pool Guy two months later.

So early March we acid washed & refilled. I needed to automate as I travel, so I installed a Stenner pump and the only thing I add now is Chlorine, Acid & DE and our pool looks great. I was able to pay for the pump cost in just 9 months with the reduced energy use and that sent me down a path that ultimately cut my SCE power bill in half with their new Time-Of-Use rate plan. I do 5 hours of low speed & 1 hour of vacuum at high speed a day. Here is my timetable:

6-7 AM Low speed filter
7-8 AM High Speed Vacuum & some CL
12-2 PM Low speed filer & some CL
10-12 PM Low speed filter and main CL​

My water:

FC 5.5
pH 7.7
TA 70
CH 300
CYA 50
Borate 50​