Northern Middle Tn.
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Looks like I'm finally gonna get to build my pool :whoot: I've really been trying to do my homework. Thanks y'all.
It's going to be a 16x38 fiberglass. 24-26K G, depending on which one I go with. Also a SWG.

Will a Tristar 2sp, 1HP full rated, 1.85 BHP pump work with a 325 sq.ft. cart filter?? I've been reading Hydralics 101. Not sure I've got it figured out though.
The Hayward graft shows the pump @ 20' total head, on low speed, to be 80GPM. Doesn't show what it is on high speed and that doesn't seem like a reasonable total head figure either. According to what I've read the average total head is 45-65'. Is total head directly proportional to GPM???

The design flow for the filter is 122GPM with an 8hr turnover of 58,560G. Not sure what design flow means.

The only thing extra that I would have is maybe 2 or 4 deck jets. 2" plumbing, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns.

I'm soooo confused :scratch:

Thanks

Good Morning, Ortho,

Mas985 or someone with more knowledge than I can be more specific but I can tell you you're on the right track.

For that size pool, you are very close on pump and filter size......I'm not sure if the deck jets will require a little more boost nor how they fit in with a 2-speed. I'm sure others will be a little more specific.

orthofish said:
Will a Tristar 2sp, 1HP full rated, 1.85 BHP pump work with a 325 sq.ft. cart filter??
Yes. Actual flow rates will vary, but I'd expect to see you at around 80 GPM
The Hayward graft shows the pump @ 20' total head, on low speed, to be 80GPM. Doesn't show what it is on high speed and that doesn't seem like a reasonable total head figure either. According to what I've read the average total head is 45-65'. Is total head directly proportional to GPM???
Yes, total head changes with water flow so at lower speed your TDH is lower. The flow rate on low speed will be more like 20-30 GPM, but it's hard to read low speed curves.
The design flow for the filter is 122GPM with an 8hr turnover of 58,560G. Not sure what design flow means.
That's the maximum flow rate for the filter.
The only thing extra that I would have is maybe 2 or 4 deck jets. 2" plumbing, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns.
I'd recommend a second pump for the deck jets if you go that way. They don't need a lot of flow (5 GPM or so each), but if you run them off your filter pump you'll have to manually adjust the flow to them every time you turn them on.

Thanks alot for the info.
I was thinking that the deck jets would be better off with their own pump so I could run the jets without having to run everything else., but one PB I'm talking to didn't advise it. Didn't give a reason why either.
How and where would this pump be plumbed in?? What size??

The curves in the sticky are for illustrative purposes only. You should look at the head curve for the TriStar located here.

The 1 HP TriStar 2 speed should have close to 90 GPM @ 50' of head on full speed assuming a decent plumbing design. Low speed is about 1/2 the flow rate of full speed so you should expect to see about 45 GPM.

As for the filter, 325 sq-ft will work ok but you might want to consider something a bit larger. I have a 425 sq-ft filter on a 21k gallon pool. I clean my filters about twice a year although I could go longer. Your pool is a bit larger than mine and if you live in an area where there will be a significant amount of debris dropping in the pool and you want to ensure infrequent cleanings, you might consider a larger filter.

Next, have you considered an Intelliflo? This might be a better pump so you have more control over your water features and flow rates not to mention the money you would save from lower energy costs.

I think I have to stay with the Hayward stuff. Will check on that though.
Back to the question about how the deck jets are plumbed in if they have a separate pump. Would they be independent of the rest of the circulation system???
I'm sure the plumber would know, but I don't want anyone pulling a fast one on me.

orthofish said:
I think I have to stay with the Hayward stuff. Will check on that though.
Back to the question about how the deck jets are plumbed in if they have a separate pump. Would they be independent of the rest of the circulation system???
I'm sure the plumber would know, but I don't want anyone pulling a fast one on me.

Yes for water features on a separate pump, they are usually plumbed separate and independent from the rest of the equipment. So the return from the pump will go directly to the feature without filtering or heating.

But at 5 GPM each and only four, you should be able to run them off the main pump. Check with the builder to see what kind of flow rate they actually need. With a variable speed you could handle everything with a single pump. When the jets are on, the pump simply steps up the flow rate to accomodate them. The cost of two standard pumps could easily pay for a variable speed. The TriStar comes in a variable speed option although it is fairly new so make sure you get a good warranty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.