Above Ground Pool Drainage Advice

LuciGo

Aug 24, 2014
Chester, VA
We have recently had some real downpours AND I have had an issue with my 2yo pool wall rusting so I'm in need of advice on how to proceed with my landscaping to help fix this problem. Regarding the rust we have a claim in, but I know its going to cost me big bucks to replace the pool wall even if they say they will send me a new one, so I want to make the one we have last as long as possible.

I haven't posted pictures before so I hope this will work. It just feels like a big muddy mess right now.

http://s165.photobucket.com/user/zookeeperto6/slideshow/Pool

Also wanted to point out that the rusted area is just below the skimmer basket so I'm fairly sure it is from the salt water splashing up against the pool in that area, so working on getting that water away from the pool wall is my main priority.

I saw the pics! At least it is a surface rust so far.

What we did was............

put landscape fabric down all around the pool about 1/2 inch down. We then put white marble chips (you can use what you think is pretty) all around the bottom of the pool. For you I would go out from the pool as much as you can.

I hand picked the larger rocks to put right by the wall. I made sure the rocks did not touch the wall. I set them so that they were right by the bottom track. YES it was time consuming but..........so worth it.

You will need to put something (like landscape border) to keep the rocks in and the grass out.

Good luck!

Kim

Also wanted to point out that the rusted area is just below the skimmer basket so I'm fairly sure it is from the salt water splashing up against the pool in that area, so working on getting that water away from the pool wall is my main priority.

Awwwww very good point! Plastic shield to protect the wall. You can buy plastic from the fabric store. There are different thickness. Find a way to tack it to the wall and go down and out to what I want you to build under this area.

For under where your pipes go into your pool wall you need to build something to keep that area from washing out. We dug down about 2 inches. Filled it in with rocks, I then put several stepping stones being careful to not touch the wall but oh so close with bricks on top of those just because it made me happy. This had helped so much keeping this area mud free and stopped worries about wash out if/when the water slopped over or if a pipe got lose and allowed water to leak out.

Kim

Thank you for your replies. I have been working on it a little each day, I think its time for a trip to Lowes. I have a few bags of gravel, boy is it heavy! Going to have to do a little at a time so will start with the skimmer area. I like the idea of gravel and then pavers over the top. I hadn't thought of a skirt but that is a great idea to shield the pool wall. We were told the pool was salt water safe, obviously not!

We really love having a salt system, love how the water feels, and the low maintenance and cost of chemicals. Just need to make the drainage work.

Digging under the deck is really kicking my butt, I may end up having to hire someone.

The pool company got back to me, they said yes it is under warranty, and we will replace the pool wall 100%. Send us $508 for shipping and handling and we will send you a pool wall. So I would have to pay the cost of having it replaced and shipping and handling. Might as well buy a new pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We really love having a salt system, love how the water feels, and the low maintenance and cost of chemicals. Just need to make the drainage work.

Digging under the deck is really kicking my butt, I may end up having to hire someone.

The pool company got back to me, they said yes it is under warranty, and we will replace the pool wall 100%. Send us $508 for shipping and handling and we will send you a pool wall. So I would have to pay the cost of having it replaced and shipping and handling. Might as well buy a new pool!

Is there really a big benefit to a salt water system? Does the water really feel different. The salt content is low. It still has chlorine in it.
With a conventional pool the cost of bleach is not very much.
I would not use a salt system on a metal pool. Even if the manufacturer said that it is okay. All it takes to get rust is a little contamination in the paint room when they painted the pool.

Is there really a big benefit to a salt water system? Does the water really feel different. The salt content is low. It still has chlorine in it.
With a conventional pool the cost of bleach is not very much.
I would not use a salt system on a metal pool. Even if the manufacturer said that it is okay. All it takes to get rust is a little contamination in the paint room when they painted the pool.

I love the salt, to me it is worth it. I go to the pool store and stand in line behind people with green pools and buying $$$ chemicals, and when it's my turn its always perfect.

After installing our pool, we found that water wanted to gather in a few places after heavy rains so we installed a french drain around our pool. We started about 18" away from the pool, dug a trench wide & deep enough to lay in a 4" perforated pipe. We lightly lined the trench with gravel, added the pipe then covered it all up more gravel. The trick to a good french drain is to make sure it has enough fall to shoot the water away in the pipe in whatever direction you want it to go. :D

I would get rid of the salt system. I don't see how the salt system is worth having your pool rust away. A skirt might make things worse if water gets behind it.

I have to agree. I had nothing but rust when I had saltwater and Intex pools. I got rid of saltwater when I installed the Sharkline and I have never regretted it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.