Broken Lateral?

Jul 15, 2015
Rochester NY
Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to read about my experience during this years opening. I have an inground pool, standard rectangle, with a hayward pump, hayward sand filter, and an aquabot. Last year I had a late closing, and I didn't close the pool right, as I was in a rush. That has now come back to bite me because I am having some serious problems this year.

My sand filter was not winterized properly. When I opened this year, to a greenish/black pool, I noted the crack where the pressure gauge goes. I patched that up and got a new gauge to stop the leak. I then started the shock and clarifier process.

I noticed that on my first backwash, when rinsing, sand was filling up in the watch glass on the filter. I did not see the sand on the backwash or note it coming out of the waste line. Only when I was on rinse did I see the sand coming out. When I switched back to filter I heard the sand being shot out of the return line. This happens every time I rinse the filter, its not as much sand as before, but sand is coming out.

After two weeks of filtering I still have murky water. Then yesterday my robot vaccum took out bags full of sand on the pool floor. I started scraping the bottom of the pool with my leaf net and was able to take several bags of sand out that way as well. I think I have all the sand out now but the pool water is still very cloudy and wont clear even after shocking last night.

Some other things I have noticed.

Normally the pressure on the filter goes way up after using clarifier - I am not getting that this year.

My PSI has been steady and unmoved while filtering at 12 psi but when I backwash I get 5 psi. Certainly not as strong as in years past.

The pool never once backwashed out dirty water.

I did some research on this and it seems like I could have a broken lateral? I've already replaced the spider gasket.

Any ideas of what I should do next?

Take your filter apart. You can use a shop vac to help you take the sand out. I put it in my wheel barrow so I did not have to bend over so much. I shop vaced it and dumped in to the wheel barrow as the vac got full. Some people use 5 gal buckets to keep the sand in.

I bet you are going to be VERY surprised with what you find.

Kim

Take your filter apart. You can use a shop vac to help you take the sand out. I put it in my wheel barrow so I did not have to bend over so much. I shop vaced it and dumped in to the wheel barrow as the vac got full. Some people use 5 gal buckets to keep the sand in.

I bet you are going to be VERY surprised with what you find.

Kim

Uh oh, that doesn't sound good. What is your guess on what I will find?

If your bottle is intact And the valve head also, buy the new lat assy (50 bucks), sand (7 bucks a bag) and change them. No shopvac is really needed, a plastic cup to take out the sand and garden hose to rinse it, plus saran wrap when installing the new one.

If it is cracked, no point in trying to keep it, bite the bullet and buy a new filter.

Thanks for the advice. I've got all the sand out, there was maybe one five gallon bucket worth of it left in the filter.

The bottle is intact, although it came off its foundation when I lifted it up out of the 4 foot pit it sits in, (interesting setup by previous home owners). Its just that the fitting that the vertical pipe attaches to came out altogether without even having to screw it out of the fitting.

When repairing this do I glue it back down to the center of the bottle?

Thanks again to everyone helping me out on this!

If my Hayward is anything like yours.....there are no fastening or gluing there.
It is held against the bottle by a clamp (around the top flange) with an O-ring providing the seal, the clamp has two screws that tighten it.
Once taken out, the whole assembly just slides out.
When going back, it just goes upon the tube and then the clamp is put back and tightened.

What is there to glue?

I guess I am a little confused as to how this all works. When I took off the top assembly and got the sand out I saw that I could now take out the pipe. I had thought that this pipe was connected to the bottom of the bottle and that I would have to unscrew the pipe from a fitting at the bottom of the bottle.

In my case, the entire pipe just came out without having to unscrew the vertical standpipe.

Is this normal operating procedure? It seems like based on your experience it is.

Ok,

My Hayward sand is S180T.

The assembly goes as follows (read the instr. by all means):

In a clean bottle (do not put any sand there) some water is added, a little. Then the new lateral assy WITH LATERALS OPEN (IN 90 DEGREES POSITION), goes in. It should just start to float.
The top of the pipe is wrapped with Saran film, to keep sand from getting in.
The assy is centered.
Then carefully the sand goes in, evenly around the pipe.
Once done, the top assembly slides down (it is kinda obvious how) and the clamp is tightened.
No glueing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had to replace my lateral assembly this year too since my pool was not clearing up during the SLAM process. Once i changed it, pool cleared up in a few days...went crystal within a week after adding the DE after replacing the assembly.

The assembly does not get glued down its free standing, just need to center it well before putting in sand. You def need to fill the housing up with water...half way. before adding the sand as to prevent damaging the new laterals. ALSO be sure to have them all LOCKED in place after putting it in the housing and before adding the sand. Any gap will become bigger once pressure is put on the system when the pump is turned on.

You called a pool place????? NOPE! Not needed! Never Fear TFP is here! LOL

Are you going to use new sand? You do not have to. Just super clean the old sand. You really need to get all of the old sand out though.

When you go to put whatever sand in the bottle---------

-put the pipe with laterals attached in the bottle

-TAPE a cup or something over the opening of the pipe to make sure NO sand goes down the pipe

-Fill the bottle up half way with water to cushion the fall of the sand

-Put the sand in a small cupful at a time. Take your time and get it all around the pipe.

When you get the sand back in use care to put the outside together just right. Put some lube on the rubber gadgets to help them seal.

Backwash and rinse the sand GOOD before you turn the filter onto filter.

Kim

Yeah def get the right one. The local pool store I got mine from (price was cheaper to buy from there actually) has there laterals labeled for their parts. I needed an e series 200# sand filter lateral assembly. They carry pro series Hayward parts. So the assembly was like 9-10" taller than I needed. Their #150 was the equivalent of what I needed. Just an FYI so you don't lose more time filtering than you already have ?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I came back to view replies after I had already bought the sand, but in the end I think I had to do it anyway because of the fact that I had no idea how long it had been there. Plus I only got about one five gallon bucket out of the filter, which means the rest is in my pool! Thank God for aquabot.

My filter requires 200 pounds of sand, I got the 25 pound bags at 7 bucks a piece, and the piping for 70 dollars. Not bad, because I almost ended up kicking in for the new sand filter for 300. Glad I didnt.

I did some poor work on the spider gasket last week when I was in a rush to get it filtering. So when I got home tonight and saw I had to backwash I could hardly turn the handle to do it. When I did it sprung a leak out the backwash pipe. I opened up the handle and could see that I had a very poor setting with the gasket.

I took it out and reset it with some glue, in the process I dropped some bolts and now they are missing so I cant put the handle back on. Its just as well though considering this will give me the opportunity to let the glue set like I should have in the first place.

And who said having a pool isn't fun?

Really I can't tell you how much you are all appreciated. Thanks so much. I'll be in the clear soon, I know it.

Here is a picture of my broken standpipe. I had no idea it would be in this bad of shape. I had only 4 laterals connected to it when I opened it up. The previous owners also had some weird glue job that really confused me as to how the new piece set in there. I'll upload the picture later so you guys can see what I was talking about.

unnamed.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah def get the right one. The local pool store I got mine from (price was cheaper to buy from there actually) has there laterals labeled for their parts. I needed an e series 200# sand filter lateral assembly. They carry pro series Hayward parts. So the assembly was like 9-10" taller than I needed. Their #150 was the equivalent of what I needed. Just an FYI so you don't lose more time filtering than you already have 

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I had to go to two stores. The first one tried to match my pipe to others, I have a Hayward 210t model. They tried talking me into hacking the top off and praying that the laterals fit as they were supposed to. I thought that probably wasn't right and went to a store where they had the actual part I needed.

These new designs are much better than the old ones, with the pivoting laterals, whatever engineer decided that should be the new design should win the Nobel Peace Prize! What a better design!

Last edited:
I think the old also had pivoting laterals, it's just that they broke off.
Gut luck! :)

Do not rush it, read the instructions, if you don't have it - I gave you the link to the manual, follow it, do not overguess, do not use glue where you don't understand something.
It is a simple procedure, but needs to be understood and visualized.

I think the old also had pivoting laterals, it's just that they broke off.
Gut luck! :)

Do not rush it, read the instructions, if you don't have it - I gave you the link to the manual, follow it, do not overguess, do not use glue where you don't understand something.
It is a simple procedure, but needs to be understood and visualized.

This manual does show pivoting laterals, but the piping I pulled out of there had screw in laterals, it also had a bottom much unlike the hayward one I purchased at the store today. The one I pulled out today had a rubber bottom that was glued to the bottle at the very bottom to hold it in place. I went to two pool stores and the employees at both stores told me that they had never seen anything like it.

I think that the previous owners may have had some extra parts or something that they reused on this filter. For the past five years I have had sand in the pool, which I foolishly thought was granulated shock that had not disintegrated.

I appreciate the manual. I am going through it reading it now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.