recent partial refill

Jun 30, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Had the great guys from my pool builder show up today to make a small repair to the pebble finish (just for aesthetics but I want my brand new pool perfect!) on my recently completed pool. I had all of the levels sorted out using my K2006 test kit. They had to drain about 2000 gallons to reach the surface of the pool that needed a patch. My CYA was at 48 and CH at 180 yesterday morning. These two levels concern me most as I am refilling my pool now. I've been using liquid chlorine since the three trichlor pucks the start up guys put in the skimmer at the initial fill. I plan on testing and adding chlorine as soon as I can start my pump. I do not have any stabilizer on hand, but I do have everything else. Any advice from you experts out there? Thanks in advance.

What exactly is concerning you? That CYA is fine. I would not raise the CH, because with the amount of evaporation we get and the hard water, I find my pool rises in CH about 150ppm per year ... meaning every 3-4 years we are going to have to replace the water to keep the CH reasonable (unless you can collect rainwater and use a water softener to top off the water that evaporates). Just keep the pH in the upper 7s to compensate for the lower CH to protect the plaster.

Thanks for the reply. I'm assuming my CYA will drop a bit with the fresh 2000 gallons as well as my CH. I'll test thoroughly tomorrow to see how much it has dropped. As far as CH is concerned, I was hoping to bring it up a bit so that I can keep my pH around 7.4. I read somewhere on this forum that was approximately the same pH as our natural tears and want to prevent any eye irritation or stinging. Thanks for anymore info!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.