New concrete decking....what gives?

SoonerWing

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 27, 2015
Tuttle/Oklahoma
They poured the concrete ~28 hours ago. I just went out and washed off the salt and this is what I found. The concrete is Taupe colored but the color is inconsistant in spots. There is a HUGE difference in color between the wet and dry concrete with the dry being VERY white. I'm guessing the white has something to do with the salt but wanted to get you all's thoughts. We're okay with the coloring when it's wet but not so much when it's dry. I am planning on sealing it in the near future. Oh, and I know concrete cracks but on day 2????

20150714_175011_zpsu9dkawny.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20150714_174641_zpsydgcfdy8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20150714_174451_zps4yrwdc39.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20150714_174435_zpsti3wdwud.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20150714_174427_zpsgic3w4us.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Interesting is it all washed off, I have never seen it with all of the bumps your has. All of it should end up looking like the white color at the top when it dries fully. Did they use wire mesh and rebar? If they did and the prep was good cracking should be minimum, 2 days is early for cracking, I wonder if there was an air gap underneath.

Wait for it to dry fully, it will get darker when you seal it.

I didn't see any wire mesh but it did have a rebar grid. There are also not any expansion gapa. Just one solid piece. After they compressed the dirt and did the rebar they dug a trench for some reason and just shoveled the dirt back in the trench and stepped on it to press it down. I am almost positive that the Crack is directly above where they dug the trench.

Is the concrete directly on your OK soil or laid over crushed gravel? From your build photos, it looks like the rebar is 3x3 square (Guess based on the size of the shovel) laid directly on the soil. I'm just a layman, but I think your going to see more cracking as your soil shifts.

What was the temperature and humidity when they poured that slab? Was the rebar flat on the ground or raised?

My guess at this point is that it was hot when they poured and the concrete lost water too fast and cracked. It never really bound to the rebar.

You should be able to even out the color somewhat when you seal it. Cracks are there.

They definitely should have put in expansion joints. We have some color variations too. We don't mind it. We also did not seal. We did concrete to avoid maintenance.

Definitely a poor pour. ;-) Absolutely should have had expansion joints. Did the installer give you any instructions to help the concrete cure?

What are you looking for in terms of a remedy? A new pour? A discount? I certainly wouldn't accept it as-is without some concession from the PB.

Doesn't look like they washed the rock salt out from the looks of the bumpy decking. I would definately be mad. Expansion joints have to be done in our soil due to the shifting. Looks like the decking is lower than the coping too. That should be flush.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What was the temperature and humidity when they poured that slab? Was the rebar flat on the ground or raised?

My guess at this point is that it was hot when they poured and the concrete lost water too fast and cracked. It never really bound to the rebar.

You should be able to even out the color somewhat when you seal it. Cracks are there.

They poured it yesterday at 10 am so it was probably low 90's and I don't recall how humid it was. The rebar was not raised it was just flat on the soil. There is also a Crack along the ribbon. The salt was out for about 28 hours before I washed it off.

The more I look at the pictures the less I like this.

The rebar on the ground is bad -- it should be supported by dobys so its encased in the slab. I'm not sure what happened -- I don't think the lack of expansion joints was the problem but you shouldn't be getting cracks like that so soon. The finish also appears inconsistent. I can't really tell about the color.

Concrete will crack that soon but if it had proper expansion joints it should/would have cracked along them. That is what they are there for. There is no excuse for not having some type of joint. Many finishers will come back later to saw cut joints but I am not a big fan of those for this very reason. I would get the responsible party out there ASAP.

- - - Updated - - -

After they compressed the dirt and did the rebar they dug a trench for some reason and just shoveled the dirt back in the trench and stepped on it to press it down. I am almost positive that the Crack is directly above where they dug the trench.

If they put a pipe in that trench the pipe will act as a "support" when the slab settles on both sides. It will crack along a shallow pipe every time. The pipe needs to be deeper and there should have been a joint there to prevent it.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think the lack of expansion joints was the problem but you shouldn't be getting cracks like that so soon. .

Yes it is the problem and yes you will get cracks that soon.

Last night there were two crack and this morning there was a new one making 3 cracks. The PB is coming out today to take a look. At this point what options do I have as a remedy? Obviously I don't have a great feeling about the future of the rest of my deck when the soil starts expanding and contracting. Is it a big no no to just have the rebar laying on the ground rather than being raised by dobies? Just trying to be as knowledgeable as possible before the PB arrives. I am sick to my stomach about this...

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 39900

This is mine that was done yesterday morning also. I have control joints about every 8-12 foot. The joints should be about 1 inch deep. It controls the cracking.

I'm insanely jealous... but happy for you. That deck looks great. I think maybe the salt they used on mine had larger chunks of salt in it. I actually like the texture but it looks like in some spots they put concrete down without coloring in it. Then there are the cracks....

When you spend the amount of money that we do on pools and decking, then you dang sure want the contractors to do a good job. The bad part is that a few cracks aren't terrible, but the decking can only get worse from now on. Document everything you are doing and all conversations with the PB about the problems you are having.

Here is ours with the salt on it - there is quite a bit of discoloration after the salt is removed - but that should go away. My concrete guy put tons of control joints in - I wanted a few in a different pattern, but he showed me that any corner or intersection would crack, so I went with his lines.

IMG_1474.JPG

Ideally the rebar should have been held up by something to keep it centered in the pour. Some crews try to pull it up into it as they go.

My opinion is the slab should be repoured. Expansion joints are industry standard. Do you really not have any at all?

Ideally the rebar should have been held up by something to keep it centered in the pour. Some crews try to pull it up into it as they go.

Now that you mention it I remember them pulling it up with their foot as they poured the concrete. I can imagine that works too well

My opinion is the slab should be repoured. Expansion joints are industry standard. Do you really not have any at all?

I just talked to the owner of the company and he basically said that there isn't much they can do. He said that there is fiber mesh in the concrete and the cracks will not separate any further. He also sad that anytime you have this much concrete there are going to be cracks, its just a matter of where and how many. They will come back in a few days and cut expansion joints which is their standard operating procedure. He also said that the color will blend in and even out over time.... I have a hard time believing that this is normal.

**Edit: Based on some quick Google researching, these small cracks may be the norm. Would love any additional opinions/experiences.

Many cut joints later, don't stress too much. If they raised the rebar as they worked that is fine, many do that as well. I think the color will be ok in a few days, let us know.

Did you pay top dollar or was this one of the less expensive quotes? Just curious.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.