Amout of salt for SWG

joemc

Jul 7, 2015
Dothan, AL
I have a Jandy Aquapure SWG and I'm just getting started with the TFP method. I've been keeping my salt at 3000-3500 ppm range according to the pool store tests. I referenced my manual and it said the optimum range is 4000 ppm so I was going to shoot for a range of 4200 ppm. Sounds really high but based on the TFP recommendations that would be about right. I'm at 3920 ppm now and was going to add another 30 lbs but the last salt I added still hasn't dissolved completely. I know there would be a saturation point but I'm sure it's MUCH higher than where I'm at now. Any thoughts on the 4200 ppm number and the undissolved salt?

Definitely don't add more salt. The salt is too high already. Jandy calls for 3.0 to 3.5 gpl (3,000 to 3,500 ppm). Salinity in excess of 4.0 will cause a high salt error.

From the Jandy Manual:

4.6.2 What Type of Salt to Use • The purer the salt, the better the life and performance of the electrolytic cell. Use a salt that is at least 99.8% pure NaCl. The salt is an evaporated, granulated, food quality, non-iodized salt. Consult your salt supplier. • Avoid using salt with anti-caking agents (sodium ferrocyanide, also known as YPS or yellow prussiate of soda) that could cause some discoloration of fi ttings and surface fi nishes in pool. • Water conditioning salt pellets are compressed forms of evaporated salt and may be used but will take longer to dissolve. • Do not use calcium chloride as a source of salt. Use sodium chloride only. • Do not use rock salt because insoluble impurities mixed with the rock salt can shorten the life of the unit. 4.6.3 How Much Salt to Use Use salinity test strips, a TDS/salinity meter, or another reliable method to test the salinity of the pool water. Once the existing salinity has been established, use Table 1 to determine the amount of salt to add to reach the desired level. Be conservative when adding salt as it is easier to add more if needed than it is to dilute if there is too much salt.
• 4,000 ppm of salt is recommended for optimum water conditions.
NOTE In cooler water conditions (less than 65°F), it may be necessary to add more than 4,500 ppm of salt to keep the “Check Salt” alarm from appearing on the power pack.
• Low salt concentration below 3,000 ppm will cause premature cell failure. • High salt concentration above 6,000 ppm may cause corrosion damage to pool fi xtures.

Ok, you have an APURE35PLG, which does call for that as you show. However, with undissolved salt, you shouldn't add more until the salt is brushed in and fully dissolved. Also, if the water is warm, you want to stay on the lower end of the recommended range.

Thanks. Ive brushed it twice and there's still some small spots along the seams of the liner. And Im in South Alabama so Yeah the water is definitely warm. At 3920 and some still undissolved I'm probably good wouldn't you think?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.