Spill over spa and SWG

AcoldStArnolds79

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2007
My pool has a separate spa that spills over into the pool when the pool pump is running. I have a Jandy Aquapure SWG with a Aqualink control panel in the house.
My question is does the SWG shut off when only the spa is used? While the pool pump is running the display shows the SWG setting that I have set. When only the spa is run there is no display for the SWG that shows up. Seems like it would be good to have the SWG running at all times whether only the spa is funtioning or the pool/spa.

Does anyone know if the SWG functions while the spa is running or not? The flowpath for the water back to the spa does go though the cell.

Most SWGs so not operate in spa only mode so the spa does not become overchlorinated. Remember there is a LOT less water in the spa than in the pool and a SWG setting that provides proper chlorine to your pool will quickly turn your spa into a large bucket of liquid bleach! :shock: Some of the automation systems (like the Aqualogic from Goldline) do offer separate SWG settings for pool mode and spa mode. I do not know if that option is available in the Aqualink.

If you have a Purelink from Jandy (not just a Jandy Aquapure "added" to an existing RS), then you adjust your chlorine output for pool, and for spa. When the system switches from pool to spa it will automatically sense and provide the appropriate % you have set for spa mode, and vice versa.

budster said:
If you have a Purelink from Jandy (not just a Jandy Aquapure "added" to an existing RS), then you adjust your chlorine output for pool, and for spa. When the system switches from pool to spa it will automatically sense and provide the appropriate % you have set for spa mode, and vice versa.

What is mounted outside appears to be a Purelink. At least what is mounted on the side of my house matches the picture of a Purelink on the Purelink manual on the Jandy website. When I run the spa only I can adjust the Aquapure setting from the inside RS All button but the display does not show the setting like it does when it is in pool mode. Not that big of a deal but if I have that capability I want to figure out why it does not work. Sometimes there are five or six 11 year old girls in the spa. Would be a good time to have some chlorinating going on!
The attached file is a picture of the equipment outside the house.

Attachments

• IMG00057.jpg
    IMG00057.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 203
Thanks for the pic! It appears that you have an AquaPure connected to an RS, not the Purelink (which would not have the seperate control box on the right).

Give me a moment to look at the program menu for an Aqualink RS with Aqua Pure connected. BRB :arrow:

This from the Jandy Aqua Pure Manual (assuming your installer connected it properly to the RS):

The Jandy AquaLink RS is a multi-function pool controller and can fully control the function of the
AquaPure chlorine generator. The AquaPure will display “JA” when a button is pressed at the AquaPure
while the Jandy AquaLink RS is in control. Adjustment of the AquaPure chlorine production rate or Boost
mode can be controlled from the main menu of the Jandy AquaLink RS or the AquaPure control box at
the equipment. Boost mode may be activated from the AquaPure while the AquaLink RS is online. The
AquaLink RS offers individual pool and spa settings for output %. Refer to the AquaLink RS Owners
Manual for more information. The AquaPure temperature, salinity, service codes, and LED indicators
operate as normal.
NOTE The AquaPure Chlorine Generator will communicate with AquaLink RS using fi rmware versions JJ or later.

Thanks. At the risk of sounding unappreciative, I understand how the RS control panel works so don't spend too much time looking that up.
The instructions do state that I should have separate setting for the spa and the pool on the SWG. When I go to the Aquapure setting all I get is an option to set the SWG in %, not a setting for pool and a separate setting for spa. That setting does not rotate on the display when the spa is running, but does when the pool is running.
So what I have deduced is that it must not be wired correctly. Just wondering if this is a simple wiring fix I could do myself? Pool is 3 years old so installer most likely is not going to wire this as part of the original fees. And it is not important enough to me to pay someone to do!
Attached photo shows when in spa mode I can adjust the SWG but then when I exit out of that and save it does not appear in the display. When I go back to the pool the change I made in the SWG setting shows up for the pool. So on mine they are not operating separately.

Attachments

• IMG00062.jpg
    IMG00062.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 170
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.