Please recommend a pump

Jul 14, 2015
Tampa
Hi
Just moved into a house and ran the pool pump dry (8hrs?) and it is no longer working correctly. I would just like to replace it with a new unit because it is very old and probably not worth repairing.

It is a 1speed 1HP unit with threaded ends that is plumbed with 2" pvc piping. The pool has a spa and is less than 15k gallons.

Can someone recommend an efficient pump that I could preferably purchase on Amazon? If it matters filter is 36sq ft DE Hayward.
Thanks

Just moved into a house and ran the pool pump dry (8hrs?) and it is no longer working correctly
What is wrong with it? Usually you can repair pumps and wet ends last a really long time.

But for a replacement, is the same pump used for the spa too or do you have a separate pump for the spa jets?

36 sq-ft is a very small filter and you should not put a large pump on that filter. Even most 1 HPs can be too large. What is the current pump make/model #?

Having a signature is very important on this forum: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

What is wrong with it? Usually you can repair pumps and wet ends last a really long time.

But for a replacement, is the same pump used for the spa too or do you have a separate pump for the spa jets?

36 sq-ft is a very small filter and you should not put a large pump on that filter. Even most 1 HPs can be too large. What is the current pump make/model #?

Having a signature is very important on this forum: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

It is not circulating water, if I fill the basket it moves that water very slowly.
Same pump is used for spa and pool
The pump is a Reliant #72747
The motor is also tagged reliant #BC2747DNC

I will read the link and get my signature fixed up. Thanks

The impeller could just be plugged. First try reaching into the impeller inlet at the bottom of the pump basket area and see if there is any debris (remove pump basket first). If you can't feel anything there, you can try flushing the pump backwards to loosen any debris.

Also, is the filter pressure higher than normal? Could be clogged filter.

The impeller could just be plugged. First try reaching into the impeller inlet at the bottom of the pump basket area and see if there is any debris (remove pump basket first). If you can't feel anything there, you can try flushing the pump backwards to loosen any debris.

Also, is the filter pressure higher than normal? Could be clogged filter.

I removed the basket, there was a fine layer of sediment underneath the basket but no large pieces. I disconnected the pump outlet from the fitter and ran it that way for a minute and the flow was just a dribble, so the filter is most likely not clogged. I am appreciating your help, thanks.

Edited to ask: My pool is plumbed 2", is it ok to use a pump with 1.5" connections with adapters? Seems most pumps I see the 2" ones are higher HP than I would need.

I removed the basket, there was a fine layer of sediment underneath the basket but no large pieces.
At the bottom there is a inlet to the impeller. You have to reach in to check, not just at the bottom.

I disconnected the pump outlet from the fitter and ran it that way for a minute and the flow was just a dribble, so the filter is most likely not clogged. I am appreciating your help, thanks.
If you disconnected the pump from the filter and it still does not flow, then it is the pump that is clogged. While disconnected from the filter, stick a hose in the pump outlet and flush it backwards toward the pump basket to see if you can dislodge what is in there. If not, you may have to take apart the pump.

So this is what I got
This is why I could not get my fingers in to clear the impeller :)
0715151836.jpg

Here is the rest of the pump. There was a bit of hair and goo but not so much that I would think it would be clogged. BTW if a licensed electrician installed this he should be fired.
0715151836a.jpg
0715151837.jpg
0715151837a.jpg

Well just looking at your motor I can see that's a problem.

It has bad bearings.

I would send it in for reconditioning if you have an electric motor service facility nearby.

It will likely cost way less than a new one and will be better than new when you get it back.

I agree it sounds like bad bearings but usually that will force the motor to overheat and stop.

You could go the reconditioning route but usually those motors don't last very long. You might want to take this opportunity to replace the motor with a new two speed motor (use existing wet end) and save a little on energy costs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pump finally died last season, but it lasted for almost 17 years, so I got the same pump again. I could have repaired it, but I was replacing all my pool equipment anyway, so why not the pump too. Hopefully this one lasts just as long:

http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP2607X10-Super-Max-Rated-Single-Speed/dp/B000FNAHCI

This pump should work fine for you if you decide not to go the reconditioning route.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.