Measuring Water For Testing

SandyO

Bronze Supporter
Jul 10, 2015
Oxford, MI
Just wondering how you really are supposed to measure your water for testing. Not the amount of water in the pool, but the amount of water that will go in the tube in the test kit.

I have been dipping the test kit in the pool, at least up to my elbow, and then dumping out any excess water. wouldn't it be more accurate if I had a syringe or something to get better accuracy?

Or am I really over thinking this and just getting the amount of water "close enough" is ok?

Most here use a sample bottle to collect water for testing. I have a dollar store condiment bottle. The kind many restaurants use. To fill, I dip it about 18 inches under, holding it upside down, then turn it over to fill. The tip is just long enough to fill the test vial to 25 ml line. It makes it quick and easy to collect enough water for all the tests.

It's best to take a larger sample of water from below the surface and dispense from that into the testing tubes. Just make sure it's a clean container you only use for sampling water. The best sampling containers are plastic squeeze bottles that make filling test tubes very easy. Such as these:
p_084037000_1.jpg

I use one like the one on the left. To fill the bottle itself, I'm even lazier. Don't even put my arm in the pool. I use a 3/4" piece of PVC pipe about 5 feet long. Dunk most of it underwater, put my thumb over the top, pull it out of the water then drain the water into my bottle when I release my thumb.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.