Algae in round pool

May 29, 2015
Richmond, KY
I am getting algae occasionally in our 24' round pool (furthest away from return). We keep chlorine levels around 12 because CYA is around 100 (already drained about 60% to get to that level and want to wait til end of season to drain again if possible). I read a post about using a turkey baster to shoot chlorine on tough spots and think I may try that! We keep the pump running 24/7 to help keep it under control. Should we run the pump continuously for circulation purposes or are we going to destroy the pump?
PS: It has rained nearly every day here, and keeping chemicals in acceptable range requires lots of testing and monitoring!!! Especially tough on Alkalinity levels.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome back. Well, you're probably not going to be thrilled about this reply, but it's best to pull that Band-Aid off quickly:
- If your CYA is around 100, that means it could still be more unless you performed a diluted test. Regardless, even at 100 the target is 12 and leaves very little room for error (FC drops). Personally, I would recommend another partial drain to get down to at least 60 or so.
- It is true that some pools, because of pool/limited circulation, can have a tendency to have "dead spots" in a an area that are more prone to algae. For those areas, re-directing return jets for improved flow is a common recommendation.
- Generally speaking, a pump does not have to run 24/7. The pump and//or filter does not keep the water clear, properly balanced water stays clear. The pump only serves to mix the chemicals and assist to remove larger debris and catch some non-filterable particles. Allowing to run longer will probably shorten the lifespan of your pump.

In short, typically rain itself is not a major factor in developing algae or changing the chemistry of your water unless it's extremely excessive. You could post a full set of numbers for us to review, but more than likely with your CYA as high as you believe it to be, a partial drain will be step #1.

Thanks Texas Splash. Who says there are ouchless bandaids?!! It may be tomorrow night before I can do a full test, but I will post the results when I do. I know it may just be a spot of algae, but I like a pristine pool! I have been using Tri-Chlor since opening of pool in 2011, so CYA has been building over time. Had no problems at all until we started seeing a little algae last year; then again this year (even with a clear pool overall). I am switching to liquid chlorine as soon as I can get rid of these expensive pucks, even if it means warehousing chlorine bottles!!! Just kidding. Have company coming in a week for a few days and hope I can get it tested/drained and refilled before they get here. (Grandkids are not patient about a pool being filled and slammed after refilling). As always, Pool School folks are AMAZINGLY HELPFUL!

Happy to help. And remember, you can always save those pucks for a time when you go on vacation or something, but it's amazing how quickly they raise your CYA to an unmanageable level when used on a routine basis. I learned the hard way as well. :) Keep in touch and let us know if you have any more questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.