First time pool owner, first time poster

Jul 14, 2015
Kingwood, tx
Hello! I have just taken over control of my pool chemistry from the pool builder and am trying to climb up the steep learning curve of pool maintenance and pool chemistry. This website has been an amazing resource! Currently, I take my water to my local pool supply store to get water readings. This pool store is a local company and not affiliated with a national chain. I was warned against stores like Leslie's. Today, I received the following results:
fc- .1
tc- .53
cc- .43
ph- 8
ta- 54
ch- 235
cya- 45
I was instructed to add a half gallon of muratic acid. Wait 2 hours. Then add 2 pounds of Pool life turbo shock and brush the pool. I have done all of this. I wasn't given any instruction for the low alkalinity. Should I be adding anything to the water for this? Also, I've been noticing that each week (since I've been taking care of the pool--about 5 weeks now), the ph is high. Is this because the pool is new? Also, I have read on this forum that turbo shock is not recommended. What should I use instead? This is the first time my chlorine levels were this low, but it has been so hot here in the Houston area. I am using Pool life chlorine tablets and checked them and they are not fully dissolved. The dial is turned all the way up. The water appears clear. I am feeling overwhelmed!

Relax and welcome fellow Texan! :calm: We can help. A few basic things:
- To take charge of your own pool (which you should) you must have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit. Do you?
- "IF" your CYA is actually 45, then your FC should never go below 6 according to the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
- PH is definitely high and needs to come down with muriatic acid. The Poolmath calculator can tell you how much to add. You want to be in the mid-7s.
- TA could be raised slightly to about 60-70.

Definitely do NOT add any of those pool store products like powders, bags-o-shock, etc. Stick only to the items you find here at TFP Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals.

Remove any tablets/pucks from your chlorinators and use strictly regular bleach each evening. But right now, in this TX sun, you need that FC up to about 6 ASAP. SO I'd get some bleach in there right now and maybe a little more this evening.

- - - Updated - - -

Remember - without a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006, your readings above are suspect, so be cautious until you get your OWN test kit. You won't regret it.

Thank you! I do not have my own test kit....yet! Just today, I ordered the Taylor k-2006 so that I can do my own accurate daily testing. Once I get used to doing my own testing, I hope to be comfortable enough to stop using the pool store chemicals. Do you just pour the bleach right into the pool water?

Taylor kit :goodjob: You'll cut the cord from the pool store before you know it. :) As for the bleach - yep. Just pour slowly near a return jet and let circulate for about 30 min or so.

- - - Updated - - -

As a reminder ....remember ... never pour bleach and muriatic acid near each other or at the same time. They don't play nice together.

Hi happypoolgirl,
welcome to TFP! Concgrats on taking control of your pool, and getting a good test kit.
If the pool store test for CYA is anywhere close to accurate, then you need to wean yourself from using trichlor pucks (if you are using them). Those things add CYA to the pool as well as chlorine, and you really dont need anymore CYA in there. Too much can lead to big problems.

First thing when you get your Taylor kit, lets get a factual test result for that CYA Iand everythign else too), post them up for advice if you need it, and switch to bleach right away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.